Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Anyone got wardrobes from Argos?

(12 Posts)
AuroraB Fri 09-Oct-09 10:06:19

Hello wise mumsnetters.

I desperatly need two wardrobes but am v poor. Argos seem a fairly good bet for cheapness, but the two styles i have been looking at Aviemore and Erin don't say what the actual wardrobe is made of.

Anyone got wardrobes like these and can tell me if they are wooden?

Thanks

MamaG Fri 09-Oct-09 10:18:21

I think they'll be shit. You'd be better going to an auction/carboot/freecycle imo

Tombliboobs Fri 09-Oct-09 10:32:09

Don't get them. We bought a cheap wardrobe (not from argos) and has been a disaster since we got it. We are hoping to replace it soon. A friend also did the same and hers have fallen apart too. Better to get a second hand more solid one imo. Do you have a local community furniture store? They often have good quality furniture that has been donated.

I just looked in my catalogue, it says the Aviemore comes as solid pine or white finish - deesn't really tell you much about the white on does it.
If they are anything like Ikea ones I would suspect that the doors will be wood, the sides fibreboard and the backs thin board.

I'd be interested to know the quality as I am going to have to get a flatpack wardrobe as our stairs are too narrow to get a solid one up.

AuroraB Fri 09-Oct-09 10:52:24

thanks for your replies, have tried freecycle, gumtree, ebay, local paper etc. to no avail no second hand furniture shops here. hmmm i take on board what you say about them being crap, we had a bed from argos that was utter shite, but i'm running out of options.

does anyone know of anywhere that does cheap wardrobes?n pred white as our room is tiny and wood is too dark and looming

Tombliboobs Fri 09-Oct-09 11:11:25

The Ikea ones we have do seem to be much better quality than the other ones we got (from memory they were from additions direct) They were not white, but generally I think their cheaper stuff is often better quality than other cheaper stuff iyswim. I am not explaining it very well. Have you tried a local ad on <whispers> netmums they do have a good buying and selling section.

<slinks away before MNHQ see this and throw me off for suggesting the 'other side'>

southeastastra Fri 09-Oct-09 11:25:04

ahem, i have some solid pine ones from argos here not the thickest pine but looks nice imo and can be painted/varnished

southeastastra Fri 09-Oct-09 11:26:08

the mirrored one is especially nice and i added some green glass knobs from b and q to jazz it up grin

EldonAve Fri 09-Oct-09 11:34:48

I have some Aviemore chests - the fronts and sides are solid pine the rest is chipboard

However they have been much better than other cheap all pine furniture I have bought
I've had to reglue the fronts a few times but otherwise they still look and function well (7 years on)

AuroraB Fri 09-Oct-09 11:36:01

Thanks all, i did look at those pine ones southeastastra but i've got a little baby and just know i'll never get around to painting them.

i didn't know about ^the other side^ but living in the middle of nowhere does mean that there's never much available locally from these types of things

will have a look at ikea too but i seem to remember their delivery is quite spensive and we're nowhere near a store

Firawla Fri 09-Oct-09 13:31:37

we've had argos wardrobes and generally been okay, although we have a sliding doors one from them @ the moment which is pretty rubbish...
as mentioned above probably a combination of wood and chipboard

AuroraB - I've just been looking on the B&Q site - they have a sale on at the moment, double wardrobes start at £100.
Might be something there you like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now