Talk

Advanced search

If you have a small car, what kind is it and what is it like?

(45 Posts)
AttillaTheHan Fri 09-Oct-09 09:34:58

We are needing to downsize my car to get the cheapest, most economical car we can find, but it must have enough room in the boot for an umbrella fold pushchair and 2 child seats in the back.

TBH i'm doing this reluctantly as have never liked tiny 'runabout' cars but this makes financial sense so please tell me what you think of your small car...

TIA

moaningminniewhingesagain Fri 09-Oct-09 09:38:48

I have a Fiesta, can fit 2 child seats (but wouldn't fit 3) and my Phil and Teds Double even fits in the boot as long as you leave the parcel shelf in the garage.

It's fine, reliable, It's my second Fiesta and TBH I'm dreading the day we have to get a bigger car as I am crap at parkinggrin

suiledonne Fri 09-Oct-09 09:50:17

I started with a Seat Arosa. It fit a rearing facing baby seat and a forward facing one but the boot would barely fit an umbrella stroller.

I have changed now to a Corsa and with the parcel shelf out I fit in a Mamas and Papas 03 Sport which is quite a large 3 wheeler but I have to take off the back wheels.

I have the same parking issues as moaningminnie so like to stick with a small hatchback type car.

HTH

AttillaTheHan Fri 09-Oct-09 09:56:04

I'd never really considered a fiesta moaningminnie but it might be worth a look.

What engine size is your corsa Suiledonne?

I think my ideal car doesn't exist - I want it to be small enough to have really low tax, insurance and high mph but with enough room for my kids and pushchair grin

If anyone knows if it exists, please let me know...

ThisBoyDerekDrew Fri 09-Oct-09 10:00:01

DP has a Honda Jazz.

We both love it. It is surprisingly roomy and economical.

You can store stuff under the rear seats. And the boot is much more spacious than his old fiesta. The parcel shelf is like a roller blind so if you do need to remove it to put pushchair in you can put it back in place when you are parked in a public car park.

Passenger room is great too.

ThisBoyDerekDrew Fri 09-Oct-09 10:00:43

<TBH you probably won't find the purchase price of a Jazz as competative as a Fiesta/clio/corsa...but running costs are pretty good>

EldonAve Fri 09-Oct-09 10:00:58

How small do you want to go?
What about a VW Golf?

DrNortherner Fri 09-Oct-09 10:02:40

I have Ford Fiesta, I love it. You can get 2 car seats in the back and a umbrella buggy in the boot (just)

What do I like about it? Well I put the key in and it gets me to where I want to be in warmth and comfort.

Can you tell I do get get this desire with cars?

I have a decent car that goes, thats enough for me.

DrNortherner Fri 09-Oct-09 10:03:55

do not get that should read.

AttillaTheHan Fri 09-Oct-09 10:08:28

Thanks for the replies.

Ideally I would get a golf/fiesta for the space but financially I'd need to get a small, teeny tiny car that runs on a quids worth of petrol for three weeks and costs 5p to tax and insure. wink

I'll have a look at the Jazz as well - thanks.

BibiBOO Fri 09-Oct-09 10:10:16

Our 'compromise car' is a Peugeot 107 - very economical to offset the family fun bus.
Costs £35 a year to tax, a tank of petrol lasts ages and you can get 2 car seats in the back. We fit a quinny buzz in the boot, but a normal umbrella fold buggy would be too long.

On the downside, it's shonky. Poorly made, feels v cheap and in our first year of owning it (from new) we had water in the boot, had to have the back window replaced, all the window seals replaced, and had water in through the aerial which ruined the internal light and left a lovely puddle inside the car.

silverfrog Fri 09-Oct-09 10:12:12

we used to have an Audi A2 - tiny car, great economy and actually has bags of room.

I downgraded form a Volvo XC90, and actually had as much space in it (for car seats etc) as the Volvo had...

dd1 had a rear-facing toddler seat (the 9-18kg ones) which do take a lot of room, but that fitted fine.

I have a P&T, so not the smallest buggy around and it fitted ok too.

you would have to hunt around as they are no longer made, but they are fantastic. maintenance costs are low as aluminium, so no rust issues, great to drive - I was really sad to lose ours tbh.

BibiBOO Fri 09-Oct-09 10:14:42

I am biased though, I part ex-ed my beautiful VW Beetle for it so we could afford to get a family fun bus for the 3dds we were soon to have.

suiledonne Fri 09-Oct-09 10:22:05

My Corsa has a 1.2 engine I think. It is old, we bought it used about a year ago and have had only one very minor problem with it that the dealer sort under our 6 month guarentee.

It feels roomy to me but have you ever seen an Arosa? They are tiny so anything would have felt bigger.

It seems economical to run but then I never do long drives in it.

The height thing can be a problem with umbrella strollers but is usually solve by taking out the parcel shelf.

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 09-Oct-09 10:32:08

I have just got a little Vauxhall Corsa, i really like it, i feel comfortable driving it and although its samll my 2 boys (in car seats) fit easily and the boot is big ehough for the umbrella fold pushchair and shopping. It is very economical and its only insurence group 2 or 3 so very cheap to insure.

Hulababy Fri 09-Oct-09 10:33:14

How small?

I have a fiat 500. Love it. But it is tiny. You can fit 2 seats in the back. Boot would fit a small buggy. It is a great little car but it is small and not that cheap for its size.

Our other car is a vw golf, but a fast version. Much larger than the fiat, not a small car IMO. Can fit 3 booster type seats in back.

thelunar66 Fri 09-Oct-09 10:33:56

Oooh.. i have just bought a Jazz. Am picking it up in two hours <<excited>>

TitsalinaBumsquash Fri 09-Oct-09 10:34:22

My Corsa is a 1.4 btw. smile

AttillaTheHan Fri 09-Oct-09 10:38:01

Ooooh Hulababy the only small car I have been remotely lusting after is the Fiat 500 but they look sooo teeny. Can you really get 2 seats in the back? Wow...

Hulababy Fri 09-Oct-09 13:10:20

Yes I always have two booster seats with backs in the back. Have had second stage seats too.

KSal Fri 09-Oct-09 15:28:48

don't know if this is small enough, but i absolutely love my Kia Cee'd. Its really a great car and they come with 7 year warranty. plenty of room front back and boot

LIZS Fri 09-Oct-09 17:32:52

Clio , 1.2 16v (loved my earlier generation 1.4) and wouldn't go any lower spec. Boot big enough and certainly 2 seats ok in back, reasonable legroom and height, fun to drive and easy to manoeuvre. Feels plasticy, rattly and expensive to repair though.

KnickersandVests Fri 09-Oct-09 17:42:37

I have a Renault Megane, not the newest one but the one with the big ass.

I rather like it. It's a 1.4 so quite economical on petrol, I go through about £15 a fortnight travelling roughly 70-80 miles a week, is that good? I don't really know actually.

It's got a good big boot but not a very big back seat but I've got one DD so she's alright in there.

It has a groovy handbrake and keycard thingy and is one of the safest cars on the market, it has a 5 star Encap rating.

preggersplayspop Fri 09-Oct-09 17:45:50

We have a Jazz and its fantastic. Really reliable and economical, they hold their value well, and very spacious. My DS did loads of research before we bought it and apparently it scores really well in safety tests which was important to us as its our main family car. Its got 'magic seats' which you can fold down really easily and create lots of space for when you need to do trips away with lots of luggage.

chimchar Fri 09-Oct-09 18:08:12

we used to have a citroen c1. it has £35 tax and goes forever on a tank of fuel. it cost us about £130 to insure it (we live about 3 miles out of a capital city! dh got £100 cash back on that using quidco too!grin)

3 kids fit really comfortably in it..2 in the back in carseats and one in a booster in the front...i have also been known to squeeze inbetween the kids at the back, but not for very far!

i loved that car...great fun to drive, nippy, looked cool....we've had loads of cars (dh obsessed) but honestly, i'd have another in the blink of an eye.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now