Talk

Advanced search

What is better to keep child warm at night - double duvet or overthrow/quilt?

(6 Posts)
stressed2007 Thu 08-Oct-09 02:43:56

My daughter keeps losing her duvet at night and wakes up cold. What do you think is better - buying a double duvet (she has a single bed) and hoping when this shifts some of it stays on (or clip it on with clips - question about how effective these are is on other thread) or to get one of the much heavier laura ashley type bedspread/quilt things that make the bed look nice and hope this stays on (though I think this may make the bed feel very heavy). Any suggestions? Thanks very much

murphyslaw Thu 08-Oct-09 21:01:54

I use single duvet topped with a lightweight quilt and this seems to solve the problem hmm not too sure about the clips though ...

Tortington Thu 08-Oct-09 21:02:33

sleeping bad with throw - zip her in

MrsBadger Thu 08-Oct-09 21:25:39

sleepsuit thus?

dd (2.1) has taken to sleeping in her dressing gown, which is quite sensible really

mpuddleduck Sat 10-Oct-09 00:30:01

I put my lo's in a bodysuit or vest, then pyjamas, then a fleecy all in one on the top, I tuck a sheet in under the duvet, then they each have a lightweight quilted throw/bedspread (dd has a laura ashley one, the boys have ones from jo jo maman bebe) on the top, Our bedrooms are freezing in the winter and this seems to keep them warm.

SparkyToo Sat 10-Oct-09 09:29:16

My 4 year old has a single duvet 4.5 tog lying across his cot bed and it does mean that he is always under it. So I actually think that buying a double duvet for a single bed to stop your little one from wriggling out from under it might be the best way of ensuring she remains under it throught the night. My only concern would be: do they kick off their duvets when they're too hot? Afterall children's bodies aren't equipped to control their heat levels in the same way as an adult can.

Our elder son (age 6) who sleeps in a full size single bed, with a single duvet, is always kicking off his duvet. But he does seem to manage to get back under it when it's cold. He has a blanket over the top of his 4.5 tog duvet when it starts to get a bit colder. I then change the duvet to a 9 tog when it gets really cold.

It's a tricky one, that's for sure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now