Talk

Advanced search

Would it/does it irritate you to see "Mother & baby" as the title of a category in a shop?

(11 Posts)
GoneTomorrow Wed 07-Oct-09 20:16:59

I'm talking about the section that sells babycare products, nappies etc.

forkhandles Wed 07-Oct-09 20:20:41

I haven't really thought about it, I guess not...

GoneTomorrow Thu 08-Oct-09 09:26:06

bump

iheartdusty Thu 08-Oct-09 09:30:10

yes and no

yes, in that men are parents as well
no, in that pregnancy and birth is an experience purely for mothers.

so it depends what's in that section

PuppyMonkey Thu 08-Oct-09 09:31:21

Not really... I would see it as a section that sells stuff for mums (breastfeeding pads, maternity stuff) and babies (nappies/formula). Handy to have everythign together, i suppose. DP has shopped in Mother and Baby sections and didn't seem to be offended...

Golda Thu 08-Oct-09 09:42:03

No, they sell nappies, wipe, formula, baby food etc for baby and nipple shields, breast pads pregnancy and bf vitamins etc. for mothers.

Disenchanted3 Thu 08-Oct-09 09:43:58

No,

They sell stuff for babies... nappies, wipes, formula

and Mothers ... breast pads, maternity knickers, lanisoh cream etc ...

Firawla Thu 08-Oct-09 10:02:11

no, never crossed my mind that it could be offensive

Depends. If the specifically mother-oriented stuff (stretch mark cream, breast pads, etc.) and the specifically baby-oriented stuff (nappies, wipes, etc.) was all in that aisle I'd see it as pretty descriptive. If it was just the baby stuff then it would probably irritate me, but I think every shop I've ever been in that sells both categories of product shelves them both together.

PoisonToadstool Thu 08-Oct-09 10:11:28

Not really, no more than the exaggerated marketing itself, I mean does my DS really need 5 different products for the bath? And I don't like the whole 'new mum pamper kit' crap that works out to be about £5 per 100ml of standard run-of-the-mill stuff.

But I realise that's not what you asked blush

So, to actually answer the question - no!

GoneTomorrow Thu 08-Oct-09 10:35:42

Interesting. It irritates me ("offensive" is too strong a word) simply because, as iheartdusty says, men are parents too. I feel it feeds into the old fashioned but still sadly prevalent idea that women should be (or are naturally) wholly responsible for the baby & child care & shopping in their household. But maybe I'm just being sensitive.

However, I did a bit of googling last night and 11 out of 12 shops online don't call it that - the category as a whole is called "Baby" or "Babycare" or somesuch, some with a section "for mums". Which I'm perfectly happy with!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now