Talk

Advanced search

Would you buy/have you bought a balance bike for your 2yr old?

(25 Posts)
1974 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:51:12

I am considering one for dd, who will be 2 next month.

Are they worth it for a 'just' two yr old, or should I wait till she is nearer 3?

If you brought one for your 2yr old, was it a success and which brand did you buy?

Did anyone regret spending that much money on one?

TIA

BloodshotEyeballs Tue 06-Oct-09 11:52:57

I'm thinking about one for for dd who will be 2 in January but really she would only use it from next spring.

She has a wooden trike and a Little Tikes car and she is like Ayrton Senna whizzing around and she can reverse better than DH She'd love it but I also wondered if she was a bit too young. I will lurk with interest

docket Tue 06-Oct-09 11:54:57

DS got a Puky balance bike for his 2nd birthday. He was pretty good on it from the off but got most use out of it from the spring after his birthday (October).

I'd say it depends on the child - DS was good on his from the start, DD inherited it at 3 and is only just getting to grips with it.

Don't regret spending the money as have got a lot of use out of it and I think it really helped DS with his balance - he went on to riding a bike with pedals really easily.

Wilts Tue 06-Oct-09 11:58:27

I think Ds was 3 when I got him his.

There is a little one at our school who can't be much more than two and he whizzes along on it, just as Ds did on his.

I didn't pay a lot for Ds2's, I managed to get it from Lidl and I am sure it was under £30, but seeing how well he got on with it, I wouldn't hesitate in spending more on one for any future children!.

mazzystartled Tue 06-Oct-09 12:03:06

They are brill. DS inherited one when he was 2.5 and loved it. DD is smaller, still not quite getting it at a similar age.

Given that she's only 2, and probably what she really wants for her birthday is a cake, a balloon and a cardboard box, I'd get the balance bike to use from the spring.

flowerybeanbag Tue 06-Oct-09 12:07:02

We bought DS an Islabike Rothan for his 2nd birthday. He spent the first couple of months going round the house getting the hang of first walking it, then sitting down and pushing with his feet.

Then we started taking him out to the park, with his helmet on, and he goes quite well on grass now.

We liked the Rothan because it looks like a proper 'big boys' bike, and because you can trade it in for the next bike up when you are ready.

Sourdough Tue 06-Oct-09 12:08:04

I know my sister thinks the one she bought her DS is fab. He has had it since about 2.5, I think.

BloodshotEyeballs Tue 06-Oct-09 12:13:20

LOL at cardboar5d box. Oh so flippin' true. I'm beginning to wonder if all the Night Garden things I'm buying her are for my benefit rather than hers blush

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 12:14:37

dd is gettign one for Christmas, she'll be [counts] 2.4 and I think she'll be ready for it - she whizzes round on the trikes at nursery but can't pedal.

I'd do as mazzy suggests - cake/balloons for birthday and a bike when the weather improves in the spring. I think at this age it is frustrating all round to feel like the expensive gift has to come on the birthday even if it isn;t the weather / they aren;t ready for it yet.
Last year we got dd very little for Christmas (obv she had stuff from grandparents etc) , which was lucky as in the second week of January she worked out how to climb the slide in the park and it suddenly became obvious she needed a climbing frame in the garden at home...

BloodshotEyeballs Tue 06-Oct-09 12:14:49

The Rothan only comes in grey though doesn't it? I'm not mad on pink and girly but something slightly softer would be nice

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 12:23:05

Jojo have a very pink girly one with a basket on the front
[rummages]
ah damn, no picture - you'll have to get a catalogue.

FimbleHobbs Tue 06-Oct-09 12:27:15

DD is 3 and we got her a wooden one from Mulberry Bush for her birthday - she is quite small and only just fits it so it would have been pointless her having one at 2, though I am sure she could have balanced if they did a mini version.

Tillyscoutsmum Tue 06-Oct-09 12:33:13

DD has a scoot bike in green. She's had it since she was 2 but tbh, has only really started to get with it grips the last month or so (she's now 2.5)

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 12:39:43

ah this is the one Jojo had in the catalogue - cheaper here too

DD will be probably be getting the unisex orange Argos one so it;s hand-down-able

TheWebster Tue 06-Oct-09 13:08:01

I want one for my ds. Hand-down-able sounds good but I cannot see any balance bikes in Argos hmm

MrsBadger Tue 06-Oct-09 13:18:21

Argos one - looks liek we've missed the boat though...

TheWebster Tue 06-Oct-09 13:20:42

Oh damm, and what a great price!

BloodshotEyeballs Tue 06-Oct-09 13:20:54

I had two of those on reserve a few weeks back for a MNetter who then decided she didn't want them. I knew I should have boought one...

I'm not necessarily looking for a pink bike as I'm conscious of handing down as well but a nice green or even blue would be better than grey.

traceybath Tue 06-Oct-09 13:23:58

DS1 had a likeabike when he turned 2 - august birthday is an advantage for something smile.

He was fab on it and was riding a proper bike at just past 3.

It was expensive but have 2 more children and its being re-gifted for ds2's second birthday.

stepaway Tue 06-Oct-09 13:26:09

DS2 got one at age 2.5 as a gift. He was completely uninterested in it and studiuosly ignored it.

When he was 2y9m he suddenly picked it up and starting riding it around. LOVES it and is able to balance on it really well. should say that he wears a bike helmet with it as they are very fast!

At the age of 4y2m, he got on a regular two-wheeler with no stabilisers and pretty much drove off!

It's not something that i would ever have chosen to buy him but it turned out to be a fantastic gift. He has one like this

Chalkpink Tue 06-Oct-09 13:26:48

Ds got one for his 2nd birthday (in May) and he has already got a lot of use from it over the summer. He (and I) think it's great!
We got him an expensive wooden one blush but it looks so lovely!!!

mejon Tue 06-Oct-09 16:38:07

DD had one for her 3rd birthday in August - she is small though and more like a 2-2.5 year old in size. We got the Puky (middle sized one I think). She is only now getting to grips with it - was too scared to try it out for a few weeks and then would only go on it with her feet on the middle bit being pushed by me or DH. Over the last week or so though she's really got the hang of it and is whizzing about on the path and on the grass. We considered this one too as it was quite small (and looked lovely!) but DD chose the Puky.

Maveta Tue 06-Oct-09 16:43:32

yes we got one for ds´ 2nd. After a quick flurry of excitement he got a bit scared of it and it lay unused for a couple of months - cue lots of ´well THAT was worth it´ comments from dh hmm but at about 2yrs 2 months he picked it up again and now at 2.5 he zips along and even picks his legs up now.. he loves it. I am really pleased. It was pretty expensive but hoping we can either trade in or use it on future (hypothetical) siblings to make it earn its keep. Its an islabike.

mooki Tue 06-Oct-09 17:02:32

We also got a Islabike Rothan for DD's 2nd birthday. She's a bit of a short arse so she can't quite sit and scoot but she sits and walks it round happily tinging her bell and is getting the hang of steering. I think it'll come into its own next summer.

I read that they do part exchange on the islabikes too so you can upgrade to the bigger model when ready

FanjolinaJolie Tue 13-Oct-09 14:10:37

DD2 started on her older sisters Puky Balance bike at 2.5 (they say from 90cms in height they can manage the LR1) she was off like a rocket, taught her great balance and she can ride a pedal bike now at 2 years 10 months without stabilisers.

DD1 loved the Puky, too. She rode it for about 2 years before she got onto her 14" bike, no stabilisers either just rode off.

I would recommend them, but would wait until your LO is at least 2.5 before starting.

Puky are less expensive than some other brands but we have found it to be excellent.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now