Talk

Advanced search

Miele Hoovers vs any other

(28 Posts)
stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 08:48:26

Morning All, I need some advice re a new hoover (ooohh the excitement!)
DH has agreed that our Sebo has had it and, as this is the second one we've had he is up for a change.
With three children and a dog I want a really good hoover that won't balk at the job in hand.
Does anyone have any thoughts - budget up to around £300.
Many thanks

fishie Tue 06-Oct-09 08:52:24

miele

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 09:48:54

Thanks, any particular reason? Are they really that good?
Do you know what the difference between the normal and the cat and dog one is (aside from £30!)

itsbeingsofearful Tue 06-Oct-09 09:57:30

I second Fishie.

I also have 3DC, DH and dog, but the standard S521 works well, picks up all dog hair no probs and he's a big 'un.

ladylush Tue 06-Oct-09 09:58:42

I've got the cat+dog and like it a lot

BudaBones Tue 06-Oct-09 09:59:09

I bought a Miele Cat and Dog after recommendations on here. Have it a month and love it. How sad is that?

It has an extra attachment for carpets that has a sort of turbo thing in it so it is fab at getting animal hair up easily.

Drusilla Tue 06-Oct-09 10:02:45

I think the difference between the cat and dog and any other model is the turbo brush thing. You get two heads with a c&d model, one normal and one with the extra brush. It's fab, is the only hoover that picks up my hair properly as well as the dogs (have blonde hair that gets everywhere ) And a miele should last you 20 years.

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 10:31:22

Thanks, any particular reason? Are they really that good?
Do you know what the difference between the normal and the cat and dog one is (aside from £30!)

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 10:32:00

Sorry computer gremlin!

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 10:33:01

Sounds good thanks for your help.
I'd been put of a Dyson by too many stories of wrecked carpets so it seems this is a good bet.
thanks

CMOTdibbler Tue 06-Oct-09 10:33:11

The Miele is fab. We've had Dyson and LG, and this Miele is much, much better

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 10:55:01

Has nobody mentioned Henry yet? shock

I have got a henry and a miele. Henry wins hands down in almost every way - he looks stupid, that is grin

Children and pets you want something a bit more solid.

Plus the miele, though good, sometimes feels like the suction/angle of hose ratio thing is a bit wrong. Hard to describe.

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 11:34:02

I like uprights though, do they do a henry upright shock at ignorance!
Have used a henry before and get annoyed with it needing to be pulled whilst pushing the hose, I'm not very co-ordinated

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 11:55:26

ikwym actually but unless it has stuck on a doorstep it should follow you around.

I challenge anyone to get an upright under the sofa though. smile

Poledra Tue 06-Oct-09 12:00:23

I was looking at a henry, as lots of people have recommended them on here before. However, I'm quite tall (5'10'') and have always found cylinder cleaners too short for me. Do any of you henry owners find it too short?

Also, I don't have a pet but do have 3 DDs and we all have long hair. Is it worth getting an animal vacuum for that reason?

Ta!

treaclespongeofdeath Tue 06-Oct-09 12:02:15

Another vote for the Miele cat & dog here! I have two cats and also have very long hair myself and shed it everywhere... it picks up everything. And the little attachments are really good for getting cat hair off sofas.

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 12:02:21

I'm 5 7 Poledra and it is fine. Have to bend down to pick up actual person of Henry (lol) but the hose and tube thingys are fine.

I am not as tall as you though. smile

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 12:27:14

I can get my sebo under the sofa when I can actually be bothered grin

My dog has very short hair and to be honest I don't find many hairs around the house, Is it worth paying the extra for the C&D one? Do you use the nossle for anythig other than hair?

PheasantPlucker Tue 06-Oct-09 12:29:29

We have a Miele Cat & Dog one, it's fabulous. Previously had a Henry (for over 12 years!) and the Miele is better, imo.

bumpybecky Tue 06-Oct-09 12:31:32

I think my miele is dying it's a cat dog one and is 7.5 yrs old and isn't picking up as well as it should be. I'm using genuine miele bags, have changed the filters etc, but the hair just isn't coming up. We've got a dog, two cats and me and 3dds with long hair

I'm 6ft and don't find it too low.

Frrrightattendant Tue 06-Oct-09 13:06:00

Oh Gawd. I knew some clever arse would come along with a Sebo grinwink

claricebeansmum Tue 06-Oct-09 13:09:28

Had a Sebo for 10 years.

Had Miele Cat & Dog for 6 months and it is awaiting repair sad. Am very unimpressed.

Drusilla Tue 06-Oct-09 13:13:00

I am over 5' 9" and the pole on the miele can be extended, it's the only hoover I've ever used that doesn't make me feel i am hunched over it

stoppingat3 Tue 06-Oct-09 13:14:18

No the sebo is mine (OP), we've gone through two in four years hence why DH wants to change,

Poledra Tue 06-Oct-09 13:22:36

Thanks Drusilla - see, I knew there would be someone on MN who has the same requirements as me grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now