Talk

Advanced search

What's the difference between my £20 straighteners and a pair of GHDs or similar?

(16 Posts)
Eyeballls Thu 01-Oct-09 09:46:53

I have frizzy curly hair although not much of it to be fair... I gave myself the MN cut earlier this year and really like it. But I have to straighten otherwise I look like Suzi Quattro at best and my middle aged aunt at worst.

I have a pair of Nicky Clarke straighteners that cost me £20 at the absolute most about 6 or so years ago. They work fine but I'm just wondering what the really expensive ones can do that they can't, and is it worth upgrading seeing as straightening is now of the utmost importance to my image!

TIA

PS Am about to take DD to music group now so apologies if I don't reply till later

GypsyMoth Thu 01-Oct-09 09:50:39

my dd has some. i have the basic £20 ones too.

think they get hotter,so straighten better. she always looks so stunning.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Thu 01-Oct-09 09:53:21

I had GHDs then decided to sell them to get some Babyliss Pro 230 and they are better than the GHDs were. They are about £30. Why spend more than you have to if they work fine for you?

PinkTulips Thu 01-Oct-09 09:56:58

i have a cheap remington one and it really doesn't do much good, i can spend ages straightening and not get anywhere.

i put in layers and a fringe two days ago and my thick frizzy hair needs straightening now badly but my cheap ones aren'up to the job, can't face paying huge money for ghds or simlar though

Eyeballls Thu 01-Oct-09 16:12:59

Hmm, interesting. Might research the Babyliss ones as I think what bugs me is that my hair is lovely and straight when I leave the house but it still goes frizzy if slightly humid or anything so maybe I need mega straighteners?

I can't compete with daughters. They look better no matter what they do

sazm Fri 02-Oct-09 14:06:23

i had nicky clarke ones and they were rubbish,
i now have vidal sassoon ones and they are fab, they were £12 in boots!

mankymummymoo Fri 02-Oct-09 14:12:23

Its quicker if the plates are hotter and gives a better result. Most of the cheaper ones dont get hot enough - ideal temp is 230 for hair in reasonable condition.

Eyeballls Fri 02-Oct-09 14:15:47

Have ordered the Babyliss ones from Amazon with my birthday voucher

Trikken Fri 02-Oct-09 14:16:22

230 is too hot for mine, I have new babyliss ones and they are brilliant, but not very expensive. my first straightener was also babyliss and it wasnt very good, a big chunky, slow heating thing but technology has moved on a lot from then (7+ years ago).

Daisydaydream Fri 02-Oct-09 14:28:38

But Babyliss products last Trikken, I still have my first straighteners, a very big, very clunky, very slow heating thing, that converts into a crimper too! It still works, despite being new in 1986! It's in the cupboard for emergencies, and came in handy for my friends 80's themed hen night!

I have Remmington ones, with Jade and Teflon on the plates and they work brilliantly, despite only being £30. However, I have never used GHD's so I don't have anything to compare them to. I did buy some Treseme ones that were rubbish though. Didn't get hot enough and didn't slide through my hair well, seemed to stick all the time.

PfftTheMagicDragon Fri 02-Oct-09 14:29:21

I have found that when I have my hair done at the hairdressers with the GHD's it stays straight until I wash it again, be it that day or the next day, even after sleep/

My cheapies need doing more regularly.

Trikken Fri 02-Oct-09 14:32:50

my mum has had two pairs of GHD's that have gone up in smoke, quite literally. tho she sent them off each time and got back another pair very quickly so cant fault their customer service.

sazm Fri 02-Oct-09 14:49:32

also, a lot depends on the product you use,
i changed my heat defence styling spray and it made a HUGE difference to my hair.

StrictlyAvadaKedavra Fri 02-Oct-09 19:34:46

The Tresemme ones really yanked and caught at at my hair, v ouchsome! POlus they didn't get hot enough, babyliss Pro 230 are 230c - obviously blush

Agree with Sazm that good styling products help, wella high hair heat spray stuff is fabulous.

BloodshotEyeballs Mon 05-Oct-09 14:07:53

Well, they arrived on Saturday and they are fab. Glide through my nine hairs and a nit most successfully. However, something bugging me is that the on/off switch is exactly where I put my fingers when holding them, so I keep turning the silly things off.

thesockmonsterofdoom Mon 05-Oct-09 14:11:09

I bought some ghd's about a month ago, they are the best thing I have ever owned. my old ones were iok but these, just wow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now