Talk

Advanced search

Looking for a bed

(32 Posts)
Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 09:51:58

I am looking for a single bed that can be opened up into a double or a separate single bed for guests. A bit like this from John Lewis but I don't actually like the look of this one. Can anyone suggest where else I could look on the internet? Thanks.

lilaclotus Wed 08-Jun-05 09:54:15

i've seen some of those in the argos catalogue, i think

lilaclotus Wed 08-Jun-05 09:59:40

and great little trading company does some very nice ones, but they are very expensive!

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 10:39:54

Thanks for that lilaclotus. I knew Argos did a bed like that but I am not sure about buying something as important as a bed from Argos. does anyone have experience of buying a bed from Argos? what is the quality like? I thought it was too cheap to be good quality.

Nothing scary about the prices in the great little trading company but their waiting time seems rather long (10 weeks for one bed). Will show dh though.

In the meantime, anyone else got any suggestions?

cerys Wed 08-Jun-05 11:04:13

we bought bunk beds for our DDs from Argos, though we have never used them as bunks, only as 2 singles. Can't say I'm hugely impressed - the wood isn't the best quality, one of the slats underneath has broken and the mattresses are horrible, IMO!
However, this might only apply to this particular bed, not all Argos beds (she adds hastily )

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 11:13:12

cerys, you confirm my fears I'm afraid. Thanks for letting me know.

jura Wed 08-Jun-05 13:06:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 13:24:02

Nope have seen those. I want the bit that comes out to be on the same level as the main bed so it can be used as a double if needed.

Thanks for replying though.

Marina Wed 08-Jun-05 13:26:40

Lonelymum, that silly photo on the M & S website is really misleading. The bed DOES pop up to the same level as the other one and we are delighted with ours. It really was an excellent purchase.
I think Queen Cod of Products also has this very model and it was recommended by Twiglett.

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 13:29:48

Marina! Which one? Or do you mean all those designs?

Marina Wed 08-Jun-05 13:37:14

The one that is £375.00 and on special offer is the one we have, LM. In a pine finish. I think M & S furniture is so well made. Not cutting edge design perhaps, but sturdy. Drop them an e-mail if you are interested in the other designs, I think this is how I double-checked that we weren't effectively getting a ground-level truckle for the second bed.

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 13:57:48

Oh I am so gald you said that as the £375 bed is the one I like. I can see that the child's bed has legs underneath and I think that the more expensive bed implies it goes up in the blurb but the pine bed doesn't appear to. But if you say it does, and you are happy with it, that is great.

Is the mattress OK too? I have high expectations of mattresses. I think they are so important as you spend so much time on your bed.

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 13:57:49

Oh I am so gald you said that as the £375 bed is the one I like. I can see that the child's bed has legs underneath and I think that the more expensive bed implies it goes up in the blurb but the pine bed doesn't appear to. But if you say it does, and you are happy with it, that is great.

Is the mattress OK too? I have high expectations of mattresses. I think they are so important as you spend so much time on your bed.

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 14:15:57

AHA! I have spotted the catch! That lovely wooden bed in French pine is not what is on offer. It is on special offer because they are only offering the white finish! Not sure I want that. French pine was more my idea.

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 14:16:36

I know it is not allowed but.....

B**GER!

Marina Wed 08-Jun-05 16:25:28

I am not sure if it will make matters worse if I say the mattresses on both beds are identical quality, fully sprung and very comfortable. not ultra-firm, but not soft either.
Depends on how much of a hurry you are in Lonelymum, but the French pine bed does get offered at a good discount periodically, I bought mine for about £400.

cod Wed 08-Jun-05 19:42:51

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 08-Jun-05 19:43:26

Message withdrawn

Lonelymum Wed 08-Jun-05 19:43:52

Dh and I are trying to decide if we mind it being white instead of pine. Dh says we could always strip it!

cod Wed 08-Jun-05 22:33:13

Message withdrawn

bossykate Wed 08-Jun-05 22:34:50

wouldn't express it quite the same way as cod, but painted furniture is - apparently - much more fashionable than wood atm. at least that's what i read.

cod Wed 08-Jun-05 22:35:18

Message withdrawn

Yorkiegirl Wed 08-Jun-05 22:37:26

Message withdrawn

cod Wed 08-Jun-05 22:38:48

Message withdrawn

JoolsToo Wed 08-Jun-05 22:39:45

there's an M &S chuck out shop on the Wirral or Birkenhead or somewhere - real bargains to be had if you live near

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now