Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Paddling pools: from what age? Alternatives for 18mo?

(12 Posts)
franch Tue 07-Jun-05 20:46:05

DD is fascinated by playing with water and we'd like to get her something for the garden - JLewis website says paddling pool is for 6y+

Would a paddling pool filled with very little water be OK? If not, what should we get instead?

Lizzylou Tue 07-Jun-05 20:47:42

I'm sure you can get pools for smaller children...try Mothercare or ELC...the one we have is for 2yr+ and has a "roof", but as we will always be there and prob won't use with water (play balls) we've gone for it (DS is almost 15mths)

Magscat Tue 07-Jun-05 20:49:46

We got ds a pool from ELC when he was tiny. It's about half a metre diametre and has a built in canopy to shade from sun.

Any pool is obviously dangerous to leave them in but obviously you're not that daft. If you are sitting by the pool and holding your dd upright or supporting her as you would in the bath why would a paddling pool be any more dangerous than a baby bath ?

dinny Tue 07-Jun-05 20:51:05

yes, will be fine so long as supervised. dd loved hers from about 6 months old.

franch Tue 07-Jun-05 20:51:15

Brilliant - thanks - Mothercare do have one and ELC have loads - should've thought of that!

roisin Tue 07-Jun-05 20:53:24

Mine loved paddling pools from 6 months. But all children need to be closely supervised around water, and always make sure you empty the pool immediately after use.

KBear Tue 07-Jun-05 20:54:51

don't buy a paddling pool that doesn't have inflatable sides though or every time the child leans on it the water pours out! ELC have an ice-cream van on special offer I noticed - £15! Great for toddlers.

Magscat Tue 07-Jun-05 20:55:03

this is like the one I bought for ds. It says ok from 9 months - I still say younger is ok so long as you are holding her.

Mum2Ela Tue 07-Jun-05 20:55:39

I bought one today from Tesco. It was only £2.74 but I had previously bought the slightly bigger one (£4.74) to take on holiday and fill with a bit of water for DS (& mths), so I knew they were good quality.

Its sweet and does just the job.

Mum2Ela Tue 07-Jun-05 20:56:03

Or as an alternative, a sandpit?

franch Tue 07-Jun-05 20:57:29

Should've said, it's a communal garden so need something we can pack away and take upstairs easily. Will send DH to ELC I think

dinny Tue 07-Jun-05 20:59:05

we've got that one, Mum2Ela - ds loves it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now