Talk

Advanced search

single bed for a 16 month?

(11 Posts)
Babybear1 Sun 27-Sep-09 11:59:05

I'm due to have our second baby in a few months time & want to move ourDD into a single bed, so we don't have to buy another cot. My husband thinks she's too young, but my sister did this with her children & said it was fine. Does anyone know of a single bed that is quite close to the ground, so that if she does fall out ( obviously we'll get bed guards), she doesn't have too far to fall? Our even better a bed that has a slight rail around it, like you see on top bunks. Don't want to go for a toddler bed,as think it won't last that long.

MrsJamin Sun 27-Sep-09 12:40:27

That seems far too young - what's the benefit for anyone besides not having to buy another cot? My DS will be 2y2m when number 2 baby arrives and even then I feel like it's risking everyone's sanity and sleep! I would just get another cot if I were you.

esselle Sun 27-Sep-09 13:05:31

If you bought a cot you could sell it afterwards. My DS will be 2.2yrs when my next DC is born and I really don't want to put him in a bed as he will be able to escape and bed time will be a pita!!

Ikea do really cheap cots.

If you really really don't want another cot why not just put a mattress on the floor to begin with if you are worried about her falling out.

nicm Sun 27-Sep-09 13:46:36

could you not get another cot? my ds is 17 months and i couldn't imagine him in a bed-he's so tiny and would never stay put!! ours was from ikea and even with their best matress and matress topper i don't think it was even £100 and the side comes off later on to make a baby bed.

Babybear1 Sun 27-Sep-09 14:01:59

thanks evryone, will have a think

Naetha Sun 27-Sep-09 14:47:27

We moved DS into a toddler bed at 18 months, and he's been absolutely fine.

He probably would have been just as fine in a single bed as well.

We moved him for the same reasons as you, but also because he was able to climb out of his cot.

The one thing that made a real difference to settling him in to his new bed, was putting it exactly where the old cot was, so he didn't have to get used to a new bed AND a new location.

pigleychez Sun 27-Sep-09 21:10:36

My DD was in a moses basket for the first 5mths in our room.

Would doing something like that help as then your DD would be abit older to move into a bed and then move the cot when baby outgrows the basket?

MrsJamin Mon 28-Sep-09 08:50:26

Just a little note on the last idea, I can't imagine a 5 month old baby fitting in a moses basket TBH and also if you give the cot straight to the new baby, you might make your toddler quite jealous.

MrsBadger Mon 28-Sep-09 09:11:40

have just moved dd (2.1) and the bedguard says in big print 'not suitable under 18m'

ndb Mon 28-Sep-09 09:34:59

I put my DS in a bed when he was 20 months for the same reason you.. we didn't want to buy another cot! I personally think it would be waste of money to have two cots when your eldest one will soon to be too big for it?! We bought a low bed from Dreams (they no longer sell it) we had a bed guard on and he's been absolutely fine... yes he can get out but we have a stair gate on his bedroom door. You can't keep them trapped in a cot forever!! It would probably be best to get your eldest used to bed before the baby arrives so that it won't be extra work for you to get him used to being in a bed when you have a new one to look after at the same time.

ShirleyL Mon 28-Sep-09 14:25:30

we moved dd into an extendable bed like this when she was 15 months old. Partly because I was expecting ds and knew he wouldn't be in the moses basket long as dd was out of the basket at 5 weeks, but mostly because dd was able to get out ot the cot even in a sleeping bag.
HTH

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now