Talk

Advanced search

Yet another phone has given up - problem with a loose connection in the charger bit - for the second time on the second model of this phone I have had. Help me find a new phone.

(13 Posts)
FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 26-Sep-09 13:35:23

I need a pretty basic phone which I just need for some calls and texts, doesn't need anything fancy other than bluetooth for the car. Pay as you go too as I top up less than about £20 a month.

TIA .

vbusymum1 Sat 26-Sep-09 14:15:36

Just out of interest what kind of phone was it, one of my DCs has had the same problem with a Sony Ericson phone. Can't help with your query as I know nothing about phones but haven't been impressed with the one we have. Its been under guarantee so we haven't had to pay anything but the quality hasn't been great so don't get that one.

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 26-Sep-09 14:34:08

Samsung.

I paid for insurance which I was told would mean I got a new phone.

I didn't and they told me to report it as lost so I could claim on the insurance hmm.

bran Sat 26-Sep-09 14:38:56

I've always had Motorolas (3 phones in 11 years). They never died or broke, usually I just got a bit bored with them or wanted a new feature and changed them. I've always had clamshell/folding types as they stand up better to the hell-hole that is my handbag.

bran Sat 26-Sep-09 14:42:09

This is the one that I currently have. I think I've probably had it for 3 or 4 years now.

gerontius Sat 26-Sep-09 14:55:13

If you top up less than £20 per month it might still be cheaper to get a £15 pay monthly deal? They'd give you a new phone as well....threestore.three.co.uk/hotdeals.aspx?offercode=&id=1399

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sat 26-Sep-09 15:40:27

Thank you.

I stopped having a contract years ago as I was paying £40 a month and a small amount was for actual calls and texts.

I would say I put on an average of between £10-20 a month.

DH said I go through so many phones, he's had the same one for about 5 years.

WebDude Sun 27-Sep-09 02:53:12

I've also got a Motorola, cost under 30 quid, but with a VGA camera so not as fancy as the one linked to by bran

I'd suggest checking the Carphone Warehouse and use their 'phone finder' option, as you can tick 'Bluetooth' and choose style (Flip, slide, candybar) and use PAYG under 'availability'.

Then it's down to your budget, network, and maybe a search in case Argos has it at a lower price. Also worth popping into Asda (as phone for 'Asda' are unlocked, so work on any network except Three). You didn't mention which network you use, and some phones simply aren't available on all...

The Motorola W377 is the one I have, but on T-Mobile (so I can use a Virgin Mobile SIM in it). The 4 cheapest flips work out at 35 to 55 quid by the time you've paid for a top-up on top of the phone.

Have to admit to being possibly interested in the sort of deal that gerontius linked to as Three is offering Skype for free on several of their phones.

I'm not currently using Skype, but it certainly has possibilities given so many already do use it, (and having it in a mobile makes it more attractive to me than being tied to a PC for speaking on Skype).

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 14:24:40

It took an hour but I did get a nokia in the end. DH said he would buy me a decent phone as an early birthday present but I just couldn't spend loads on something to just call and text. Especially when DH had forked out £700 on my car.

WebDude Sun 27-Sep-09 15:31:59

Out of nosyness interest, what did you go for ?

cookielove Sun 27-Sep-09 15:34:55

what nokia? and i have to say personally nokias are the best and i miss mine dearly

FabBakerGirlIsBack Sun 27-Sep-09 15:47:03

It is a Nokia 2680 slide in blue.

I have had so many phones I couldn't bare to spend loads.

cookielove Sun 27-Sep-09 16:01:50

this is the phone i wanted but couldn't afford

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now