Talk

Advanced search

MN challenge -- find my dd1 (9) a pair of shoes that aren't designed for a teenage slapper!

(13 Posts)
frogs Mon 06-Jun-05 21:56:26

Just that, really. She now needs adult size 6, and most of what's on offer by way of school shoes are black, chunky, often have massive heels and are, frankly, hideous. The closest we've been able to get is these from startrite, but they're not what you'd call attractive. We're not looking for anything too twee, just normal girls' shoes that look reasonably smart.

Ideas, please!

starlover Mon 06-Jun-05 21:58:23

i like these ones

helsi Mon 06-Jun-05 21:59:13

yes I like those in that selection too. Just what i would expect a 9 year old to wear.

kama Mon 06-Jun-05 22:00:08

Message withdrawn

PrincessPeaHead Mon 06-Jun-05 22:00:11

they are all disgusting, I agree. I can't believe the crap that clarks sell to the nation.
I'm afraid your only option is to go on holiday to france (or italy, or anywhere on the continent) where there are masses of nice normal childrens/teen shoes. and at half the price!

Enid Mon 06-Jun-05 22:00:47

the ones at the bottom - 'adorn'

starlover Mon 06-Jun-05 22:00:48

pph... they're start-rite... not clarks.

PrincessPeaHead Mon 06-Jun-05 22:01:36

i know - the startrite ones are ok. I just meant have you seen the clarks ones? EUGHGHGHGHGHGHGHHhh

starlover Mon 06-Jun-05 22:01:51

tbh... they're only for school! a pair of flat black lace-ups, or a mary-jane is fine surely??????

Lonelymum Mon 06-Jun-05 22:10:25

I think all those Start-rite shoes look OK. Do they really go up to size 6 though?

I had this problem a couple of weeks ago looking for sandals for my 5 yo. Most had a 2 inch heel on them and were completely tarty. Of course dd loved them but I put my foot down and she ended up with some plastic beach like sandals which is not what I had in mind at all.

SueW Mon 06-Jun-05 22:11:11

DD (aged 8) is quite happy with her Clarks - she's wearing 'Checklist' from their website at the moment, having been persuaded that they would do her for another five weeks of term! I'm shaking in my shoes about what next year has to bring with a 9yo though, given this thread. Fortunately she's only just hit size 1 so maybe it will be a while....

I agree with PPH competely though. We've just come back from Ibiza and even on that tiny island they had a fabulous selection of children's shoes. Beautiful soft leather and prices closer to Jonathan James than Start Rite.

frogs Tue 07-Jun-05 11:26:30

No, most of those startrite ones don't go up to a size 6, that's the point. The only ones that do are the Moonstone, in my link, and some of the chunky laceups. They'd be just about ok for school, though pretty ugly, but not much cop as smart shoes for special occasions.

The 'adorn' ones in Buckle my shoe only go up to 39 -- size 6 is a continental size 40.

Any other suggestions? Otherwise I fear I may have to bankrupt myself taking her to Camper.

bee3 Tue 07-Jun-05 12:06:45

Had a quick look at shoesdirect.co.uk (looking for sandles for me) and thought possibly...
these
or these ecco ones (not as expensive as camper!}. I really like these and they come in black.
Never thought about how expensive it would be to get shoes for a pre-teen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now