Talk

Advanced search

Now this is very interesting! Frost-free versus automatic defrost

(15 Posts)
OrmIrian Thu 24-Sep-09 14:59:06

for fridge freezers.

Ours has died. We need now one but can't afford to pay the 600-odd we paid for the old one. Since frost-free seems to add a lot to the price, is the automatic defrost thing as good, any good or just rubbish.

Thanks

OrmIrian Thu 24-Sep-09 16:14:34

Why aren't you all regaling me with tales of FF and the merits of frost free ? Tell me dammit! I need to know.

alittlebitshy Thu 24-Sep-09 16:15:53

hang on - got to take dd to ballet - back in 2 ticks. will telll what engineer told me

Umlellala Thu 24-Sep-09 16:17:33

We have just defrosted our frost free freezer hmm. Though might be cos it's integrated and there doesn't seem to be enough space at back for air to circulate (same prob as old one...)

Indith Thu 24-Sep-09 16:21:59

I just bought a frost free one. I am in love. It is an Indesit one, payed around £270 and it is a Which Best Buy.

alittlebitshy Thu 24-Sep-09 16:26:52

ok.

last time we had a f/f die on us (2nd in as many years) the engineer said it was too expensive to repair, as the mechanism for frost free is a complicated circuit board. he recommended getting a normal one next timw.

I actually got another frost free one, and have my fingers crossed (plus took out insurance on it this time, for first time ever).

No idea about auto defrost. would be interesred to learn about them though... for next time hmm (I seem to have bad luck with fridges and washing machines).

edam Thu 24-Sep-09 16:29:27

we've got FF, am happy with it, seems to just get on with the job without us actually having to notice or do anything. <fingers crossed it doesn't break down now from sod's law>

Mind you, the salad baskets are cracked, must remember to phone up Zanussi and get them replaced.

OrmIrian Thu 24-Sep-09 16:32:25

Ah I have a Zanussi too edam. Most of the shelves have broken hmm Seem to be very fragile.

I have really appreciated the FF bit of it but it isn't really that old and I think it's a bit crap that it's died so young. Odd thing is that the freezer is fine but the fridge is warm hmm

alittlebitshy Thu 24-Sep-09 16:41:58

the last 2 of mine that died at at young age (may their motors rest in peace) were FF. I guess they're not made to last... hmm, do i sound like I'm older than i am?

snorkie Thu 24-Sep-09 17:43:48

I'm looking for a new fridge freezer too. Ours is 11 yars old (ff) and has turned into a freezer freezer. We are fed up with frozen milk, yogurt etc.

What models are you looking at OrmIrian - the choice is a bit bewildering.

Firawla Thu 24-Sep-09 17:44:27

get frost free!!
we have moved into a place with a non frost free one, and i hate it. we are going to replace it very soon, may even order it tonight. non frost free ones are a pain in the ass really would not recommend them, its worth the extra money. anyway i have seen them in argos not that expensive? never heard of the auto defrost one but would just go with frost free to be on the safe side as they seem much much better

OrmIrian Thu 24-Sep-09 19:35:25

Well DH has found a chap who told him that he needs to defrost it and then it might work again. Great hmm £200 of meat and fish to eat in a weekend. And he wonders why I am not dancing for joy grin

alittlebitshy Thu 24-Sep-09 20:08:34

omg. can you stash any of it in friend's freezers for a while? even just a few bits would be a bit less wastahe.

fishie Thu 24-Sep-09 20:12:14

you might be able to claim for contents on house insurance orm.

i've just got a new john lewis ff, is lovely. replacement for beloved indesit which started to ice up all the time. neither are frost free.

OrmIrian Thu 24-Sep-09 20:18:09

I guess we could claim. TBH it's the sheer hassle factor atm. We have friends who would take some stuff for us but it's just more running around. But hey, tomorrow is another day and I shall feel more positive. Probably grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now