Talk

Advanced search

Memory foam. Does it really help?

(26 Posts)
MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 20-Sep-09 17:01:02

I get really sore hips in bed. I can't lie on my side any more all night [aged] and have to sort of lie on my back, which I'm not that keen on to be honest.

Is a memory foam topper really the answer? Or does it just make the bed a bit softer? It's going to cost me £140 for one to fit our bed, so I'd like to be sure I'm doing the right thing!

morethanyoubargainfor Sun 20-Sep-09 17:04:56

we have just come back from holiday that had memory foam toppers and pillows, i have to say i thought they were really uncomfortable, and after my third sleepless night ended up swapping with my ds, he found the memory foam really comfy and i found his bed equally as comfy!

Can you go to a shop that has these and try them out?

Personally i wouldn't but think my dh and ds would, it really is a case of each to thier own.

colditz Sun 20-Sep-09 17:06:52

I have appalling hips, and my memory foam topped mattress is the best thing I have ever bought.

It does make the bed softer but somehow this doesn't take any of the support away!

Podrick Sun 20-Sep-09 17:07:53

Memory foam will help your hips, but if the mattress underneath is crap then this will still be a problem.

You need 2 inches at least, but £140 even for a king size is more than you need to pay. The down side of the foam is that it is hot to sleep on.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 20-Sep-09 17:08:19

I lie on them and they seem nice and all that, but the shops won't let me stay the night to see how my hips are the next morning. grin

They claim some kind of orthopeadic benefit don't they?

Gawd I feel about 65 posting this.

Podrick Sun 20-Sep-09 17:08:38

I think for joint problems get a good quality pocket spring mattress with memory foam on top.

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 20-Sep-09 17:11:31

Mattress is good quality, but just far to hard for my liking. I've never liked it since we got it about three years ago and I think it's my hips which have paid the price.

I liked sleeping on an airbed when we were camping. But I don't think DH would tolerate me putting the airbed on the kingsize wink

GoldenSnitch Sun 20-Sep-09 17:24:25

I have a sprained SI joint (which basically means my right hip is prone to getting really sore) not had a problem with it since we got a Memory Foam topped mattress.

I was advised when we bought it that the mattress should be harder than you would usually have with memory foam as the foam wil make it feel softer because you sink into it so yours sounds perfect for a topper.

I love mine

Podrick Sun 20-Sep-09 17:50:16

Memory foam should work well but £140 is more than you need to spend

chachachachacha Sun 20-Sep-09 17:53:00

I had a memory foam topper and it made a huge difference to my hips - previously I was having to haul myself out of bed in the morning as I literally couldn't move - memory foam topper sorted it overnight.

Get one that's at least 6cm

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 20-Sep-09 19:26:35

this is the one I saw today. We'd need the Superkingsize, which is £140.

Where have you seen one which is cheaper?

SparkyToo Sun 20-Sep-09 20:38:06

Memory foam isn't a 'soft feel' but a firmer feel when compared to say a feather and down mattress topper. It's just that you sink into it. It's obviously horses for courses, but it depends on whether you prefer a firmer feel/softer feel, are prone to overheating - as memory foam isn't naturally breathable and there literally isn't any air surrounding your body, so more difficult to keep cool in bed.

This site has some good deals on mattress toppers at the moment (I would recommend the duck feather and down mattress topper).

MamaG Sun 20-Sep-09 20:41:50

My DH hgas a terribly bad back and a memory topper has been a real Godsend (recommended on here!)

Think we paid under £100 for a kingsize off ebay (new of course)

SausageRocket Sun 20-Sep-09 20:46:41

I have a mem foam pillow as I get migraines and neck pain and I find that both are really dramatically reduced in frequency since using it. It was recommended to me by my osteopath. Osteopath didn't do much aside from drain my bank account but his pillow recommendation was a godsend!

SausageRocket Sun 20-Sep-09 20:47:34

DH sweats like a racehorse in bed (charming) so a full on rubbery mattress would be a nightmare

movingnow Sun 20-Sep-09 20:49:44

We recently moved house and went the whole hog i.e. new bed & new mattress. Took a leap of faith and bought a memory foam mattress....I love it. I have dodgy hips (bursitis) and find it much more comfortable.

reallywoundup Sun 20-Sep-09 20:56:19

i spent a small fortune on a super dooper fabbytastic memory foam mattress- only to find on its first night that it was WAY too hot and me an dh were awake most of the night trying not to kill each other. Went back the next day along with the damn pillows! We now have a pocket srung pillow topped mattress- far better way to spend our money. It would seem they are like marmite- love 'em or hate 'em wink

MaryMotherOfCheeses Sun 20-Sep-09 21:24:34

Oh lordy.

Not sure about the warmth thing. I need to be just right and DH is a bit like your DH SausageRocket (what an interesting name you have there!)

sparky, I'll have a good look at that site, thank you. Do you recommend the feather one cos you've got rubbish hips too or is it just nice?

Podrick Mon 21-Sep-09 06:38:20

Ideal world last night superking £70 delivered, check out the website!

CarmenSanDiego Mon 21-Sep-09 06:46:07

I got a really hard mattress for my back, but it's a little too hard, so we got a memory foam topper. Absolutely love it. Got a memory foam pillow too and it's the best pillow I've ever had.

ILikeToQuickstepItTangoIt Mon 21-Sep-09 08:55:23

We spent quite a lot on a new mattress but it turned out it was a bit too hard as dh and I started to suffer from lower back pain.

We got a thick mattress topper off EBay and we both sleep really well.

I was worried about getting too hot but it hasn't been a problem. I put a mattress protector on top of the topper and then a sheet - both of which are cotton.

SparkyToo Mon 21-Sep-09 10:19:21

Actually my hips are OK - so can't advise from that point of view - feather and down mattress toppers are just nice, that's all.

Reading the last few posts it seems quite a few people have found their new mattresses to be a little too hard, and they just aren't good for your back as they don't keep it in the right alignment. I remember there used to be this whole thing about a firm mattress being the best thing for your back, sleeping on a board / the floor being even better (!) but that whole theory is out of the window now.

So a softer mattress is the new 'black', if your like!!!

MrsJohnDeere Mon 21-Sep-09 11:37:29

It has helped my bad back and poor sleeping no end, but dh finds it far too hot and would rather not have one.

amazonianwoman Wed 23-Sep-09 21:00:22

We have a full-on memory foam mattress and I love love love it. So does DH, who doesn't care what he sleeps on grin

I like lying on my back and can only do this on memory foam, too painful on any sprung mattress.

They are warm, so just buy a lighter duvet - we switched from 13.5tog to 10tog.

We've had our mattress for almost 2 years and still sigh with contentment every single night when we get into bed grin

ilovespagbol Tue 29-Sep-09 22:59:06

If QVC have them you have 30 day money back guarantee......

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now