Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Car seat broken - advice needed please

(8 Posts)
pacinofan Sun 05-Jun-05 18:13:09

Hi, need some advice please about my car seat. We have a MaxiCosi XP top of the range car seat (or that's how it was described to us when we purchased it). It was purchased Nov '03, we had problems with the straps and returned it to the place of purchase, Halfords, approx 12 months ago. Manufacturers were contacted by Halfords who could see quite clearly the straps were no use. The manufacturers were dreadful, the seat was replaced only because Halford's are, imo, a reputable place to buy a seat from.

Now, the side protection system appears to have broken, the polystyrene side impact pads have come loose from the plastic housing.

My question is this - do I have any rights to return the seat to Halfords, as (obviously) it is used? I have the original receipt dating Nov '03 but no receipt detailing the exchange.

Any advice gratefully received so I don't make a fool of myself when I go to see them tomorrow!

KBear Sun 05-Jun-05 19:00:52

I can't quote the law but the sale of goods acts works along the lines of

"must be of merchantable quality"
"must do the job it is intended to do"

so, a car sear should last longer than a year or two - they are designed for specific time frames ie 4-11 years.

I would ask Halfords to replace it, even with your original receipt, and if they don't help, write to the manufacturer, cleary and purposefully (but not stroppily!!! - not that I am implying you would of course but you are entitled to be angry!!) and I'm sure for the benefit of their reputation they will provide another one.

Good luck.

ambrosia Sun 05-Jun-05 19:05:09

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

KBear Sun 05-Jun-05 19:35:10

wow that is service! I think these big companies know that word of mouth is a make or breaker (especially the way us girls can talk).

Hope you have the same luck pacinofan.

pacinofan Sun 05-Jun-05 20:05:41

Thanks for all your replies, will go to Halfords and, fingers crossed, will hopefully get some help. Will post again when visit to Halfords over and done with!

pacinofan Mon 06-Jun-05 19:57:47

Well, hats off to Halfords! I 'phoned the manager this morning and explained what had happened. He was quite happy to refund the cost of the seat or exchange it for me. I decided to exchange it since I needed one straight away and hope I have just been unlucky with the broken one. I now have a brand new maxi cosi xp!

Will certainly be buying future seats from Halfords, the staff there were extremely pleasant.

KBear Mon 06-Jun-05 19:59:48

FANTASTIC!

LIZS Mon 06-Jun-05 20:05:47

Result !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now