Talk

Advanced search

slow cooker

(7 Posts)
hettie Thu 17-Sep-09 10:53:17

Thinking of investing in a slow cooker for the winter. Would quite like one big enough to pop a joint in...... also would quite like a timer option on it as am often out for 10 hours and even cooked slowly most recipes seem to be shorter than that.
Anyone got any recomendations?

siouxsieandthebanshees Thu 17-Sep-09 22:48:53

Have you seen this site?
Upon saying that. I brought a cheepy one from Tesco, it works wonderfully. Dh works nights, so I put the ingrediants in the pot the night before, then he gets it out of the fridge and puts the slow cooker on at 6am and we all eat about 6pm when I get in.

BooBooChicken Thu 17-Sep-09 22:53:25

i bought a cheapy one in asda this am. it was £15 reduced to £7 and they had stacks of the buggers. no idea if it's any good, never used one before so searching the old threads for ideas.

mamas12 Thu 17-Sep-09 23:04:19

I bought recently too but I didn't have any instructions so please can anyone tell me, do I put water in the metal holder then put the crock pot in??

siouxsieandthebanshees Thu 17-Sep-09 23:20:31

No DO NOT put water in the metal holder then put the crock pot in.

Either just put a joint in with no water and let it steam. or, throw all the ingredients (thank god I spelt it right that time) in for a stew or bolognese, chilli and let it cook for hours and stir it every know and then.

hettie Fri 18-Sep-09 13:22:23

thanks for the tips, the website was helpful and also Good housekeeping did a review. Wnet for a crockpot one in the end. Bit more expensive but you can put pot on stove/in oven for browning, reducing liquid (imp for us as we make lots of curries). Am off to search recipe thread for inspiration!

mamas12 Fri 18-Sep-09 18:20:36

Ta souxsie!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now