Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Falling asleep on booster seat - unsafe???

(43 Posts)
flobbleflobble Sat 04-Jun-05 20:51:58

I bought a booster seat for my 5 year old but she falls asleep in the car and slumps over!

This seems a very unsafe position not to mention uncomfortable!

Do the car seats for older children solvet he problem of allowing them to sleep comfortably and safely - or would it be a waste of money?

What do you think?

Xena Sat 04-Jun-05 20:53:35

We bought a Graco booster seat with a back rest (it was on special in Asda for £18) works better as they tend to lean on the head rest

Xena Sat 04-Jun-05 20:53:52

although still upright

flobbleflobble Sat 04-Jun-05 20:56:14

Thanks for this - does it look comfortable, and do the head rests suppoert a sleepy head, or is that not really their function?

I'm considering Graco as BabysRus have a deal on - not a scheap as Asda though!!!

cherith Sat 04-Jun-05 20:57:56

Although safety is very important i think that people can go to extreams wrapping there children up in cotten wool. Where not made of money. I think that your 5 year old will be fine. However you could get a neck cushion, which is far cheaper.

Xena Sat 04-Jun-05 20:59:48

If I could wrap my children in cotton wool in the car I would. I get when people pay thousands for cars and then grumble about a few quid on a car seat!!!

flobbleflobble Sat 04-Jun-05 21:00:23

Thanks for the idea - my daughter doesn't like the neck cushions

My worry is that when she slumps over the seat belt is no longer in remotely the right place - and she looks so uncomfortable! I would be quite pleased if she could have a comfy doze in the car from time to time!

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:01:46

dd1 is in high back booster, she doesnt tend to fall asleep much anymore. dd2 was also in a graco high back booster, but i recently changed hers to a britax cruiser as it has a belt lock thingy to keep her much upright when she is asleep. before she was lolling about even in the seat.

flobbleflobble Sat 04-Jun-05 21:03:21

Yes I am worried about the lolling about - don't want to buy a high back seat if she will still loll around and slump out of it!!!

cherith Sat 04-Jun-05 21:07:22

Of course i would wrap my children up in cotton wool when it comes to traveling in cars. The thing is money is an obstacle at times. Not everyone spends lots of money on cars and then grumbles about the price of a car seat. I assume money is no object with you and that you can afford to wrap your children up in cotton wool.

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:09:05

hmmmmz, cotton wool style car seats, imagine how cofty our kids would be then!!

how big is your dd? there is the britax elite which uses a harness, suitable for most childen up to the age of 6 (in my dd2 case she'd be out of it by the age of 4 i rekon). is about £80-90. by the time she grows out of it, she may not fall asleep as much.

Xena Sat 04-Jun-05 21:09:30

If you can afford to run a car you can afford to buy the correct car seat for your child. If you can't then don't drive.

cherith Sat 04-Jun-05 21:10:24

whats dd?

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:10:40

i cant afford to run a car really, all we pay for is petrol (cvar is on mobility scheme). thats why i can afford to buy an isofix for my dd3.

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:10:59

dear/darling daughter.

cherith Sat 04-Jun-05 21:12:39

you try living in a village without a car and with two children. not to for get when your husband needs to get to work

cherith Sat 04-Jun-05 21:15:02

i have one 4 year old and one 11 month old.

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:16:42

try the elite for your 4yr old.

Xena Sat 04-Jun-05 21:17:12

Why does your husband need a child car seat to get to work?

Anyway flobbleflobble the Graco works for my DS as the backrest adjusts slighty to the recline of the seat of your car. Will leave your thread now. Hope I've Helped

cherith Sat 04-Jun-05 21:19:03

my husband needs a car. Not carseat.

flobbleflobble Sat 04-Jun-05 21:19:30

DD is nearly 6 so the Elite wouldn't last more than a few months

Anyone have anymore experience / recommendations?

flobbleflobble Sat 04-Jun-05 21:20:23

Thanks very much Xena, Graco is a definite maybe!

misdee Sat 04-Jun-05 21:20:48

no ideas sorry. why cant they design a standard car seat which helps keeps kids upright when asleep.

SoupDragon Sat 04-Jun-05 21:25:16

Mothercare do a cushion that wraps round the diagonal bit of the seatbelt. It keeps DS1 a little more upright when he fell asleep. Or it did until I lost the squidgey pillow bit from inside.

foxinsocks Sat 04-Jun-05 21:31:49

we have the britax kid which has sort of wings around the head bit so when they fall asleep their heads rest on the sides (if you see what I mean). It also has a little clip at the back to lie the seat down a tiny bit but we find it makes very little difference to the position.

I've linked to the Hi-liner on the Britax site because it's virtually the same as the Kid but a bit cheaper (they are all there on the website anyway). Hi-liner
Kid

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now