Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Oh wise MNers: tell me, do I NEED an Amby Nature Nest??

(31 Posts)
PacificDogwood Wed 16-Sep-09 16:03:42

Like this one here

DS4 on his way (in March 2010 wink), I have little crib and then larger cot.
However, if the Amby really, really makes babies sleep better, then I would spend the next 6 months on ebay get one.

Please give me your verdict if you used one.
smile

Bettymum Wed 16-Sep-09 16:07:28

I borrowed SILs. DD loved it and was in it for first six months. Don't know if it was the nest or my marvellous mothering skills, but she is one of the happiest little souls I've ever met. And she slept very well in the nest. We kept it at the foot of the bed and I could stick my foot out in the mornings and rock it without actually having to get out of it myself . I'm due in April and am definitely going to get a second hand one (SIL due in December so hers will be in use!)
Also, as I'd put her in her cot for daytime naps from 3 or 4 months, she didn't have a problem transferring to the cot which I was a bit worried about.

PacificDogwood Wed 16-Sep-09 16:12:06

Thank you, Bettymum, so that's one vote in favour.
Any detractors?

Lucky13 Wed 16-Sep-09 17:44:24

Another vote for. My DD was v ill for first 8 weeks, but even so she always slept well in the Natures Nest and slept through the night really quickly. There was no probs either when she came to move into her cot bed. Her cousin now has it and he loves it too!

porcupine11 Wed 16-Sep-09 17:50:52

Ours saved our sanity and gave us some sleep. Got it when DS was 8 weeks, in desperation. It's fantastic for bouncing them to sleep, you can take it everywhere really easily so no need for travel cot (which baby isn't used to), and if he woke in the night I could just stick my hand out, give a couple of bounces and he'd settle down again. Also, they can't possibly turn on their front in Amby, so it gave me peace of mind.

Weaning them off it is harder though - see my separate postings on other threads!

liahgen Wed 16-Sep-09 17:52:49

where do you position these ladies?

Ewe Wed 16-Sep-09 17:56:41

Loved it! DD slept through the night (well, 10:30pm-6am) from 2 weeks old and I def think the nest helped.

Try to get your DC used to napping in a cot if possible though, I didn't and she took a while to get used to it when we moved her.

Tombliboobs Wed 16-Sep-09 18:01:24

Loved ours, DS was another good sleeper too.

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 16-Sep-09 18:04:02

Loved it.

Rindercella Wed 16-Sep-09 18:06:19

To those who have used this and loved it...how long did you keep your baby in it for? It says from birth to 12 months...but if the baby is able to sit unaided, is it safe?

Am really liking the fact Ewe's DD slept through the night (10.30pm to 6am is most definitely 'through the night' in my book!) from 2 weeks old. That has got to be worth 160 quid of anyone's money! grin

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 16-Sep-09 18:07:34

May be parting with mine (think it is definitely no more here)

millenniumfalcon Wed 16-Sep-09 18:09:42

had something similar to amby after non-sleeping nightmare dd1. dd2 champion sleeper, stayed in it till 1, no issues transferring to cot. best parenting investment i ever made and that includes slings, cos come the end i'd have happily paid several hundred pounds for a single full night's sleep w/dd1 (woke at 45min intervals for first 9 months).

Ewe Wed 16-Sep-09 18:10:32

I kept my DD in it until she was about 10months - was tempted to keep her in it forever and buy the spring strengthener! Perfectly fine.

I would quite like one for me in all honestly!

Rindercella Wed 16-Sep-09 18:34:33

My God!! I have been totally convinced by this. MF, my DD sounds much the same as your DD1 - the first few months were a sleep-deprived nightmare.

PD, roll on March and sleeping babies grin

porcupine11 Wed 16-Sep-09 18:56:34

I put the Amby right next to my side of the bed, as you would a Moses Basket (so baby is lying parallel to me). Then you don't have to wake up properly to bounce it.

There is no way they could sit up in it, it sort of hugs them like a hammock.

My baby moved out at 8-9 months (he was big and I could tell he wanted to move around), but my friend's DD is still in at 1 year.

octopusinabox Wed 16-Sep-09 19:46:31

I loved mine and used it for both my babies. We took them out at around 6 months as they would try to roll over in it and get frustrated. I sold it afterwards so made some money back which was good as they are pretty expensive.

I used to have it right next to my bed with some of the base underneath so that the actual hammock was right next to me.

SchnitzelVonKrumm Wed 16-Sep-09 19:50:06

Have been resisting the temptation to buy one of these for imminent DC3 but this thread is testing my resolve. Do you need the special sheets etc or will stretchy cot/moses basket sheets fit?

Umlellala Wed 16-Sep-09 19:58:30

Sorry, mine was alright but didn't really work for me cos I prefer co-sleeping. Ds has always liked sleeping on his front too. And I couldn't get the knack of throwing him in without it being a big faff. I used normal sheets and folded under.

Did settle him from awake for daytime naps though - never managed that with dd (no Amby). So think I am keeping it (when I bought it, it had great resale on ebay, now not so much hmm) for when/if we have another one perish the thought. It's in the loft I think.

And of course there are times when you go actually, I'd happily pay £100 for you to go to sleep just this one time now... so if it works once... wink

Congrats btw smile

PacificDogwood Wed 16-Sep-09 20:34:29

Wow, that (almost) all sounds great!
Umlellala, ebay prices still look quite strong to me...
FiveGoMadInDorset, what is your price grin. Seriously, I'd rather buy from fellow MNer than some unknown "power seller" on ebay wink.
Hi, Rindercella <<waves>>

porcupine11 Wed 16-Sep-09 20:50:14

I used normal sheets folded under (keep the special sheet on the foam mattress more as a cover).

It keeps them warmer than cots - you need to consider this when using sleeping bags etc

make sure if you buy from ebay you don't get rip-offs from the factory that makes them for Amby - i have heard of this

FiveGoMadInDorset Wed 16-Sep-09 20:55:10

Have you got CAT, if not my email is burngatefarm at googlemail dot com

PacificDogwood Wed 16-Sep-09 21:05:51

I'll email you.
Thanks!

millenniumfalcon Wed 16-Sep-09 21:23:51

re: sheets i found if i folded either end of a standard moses basket sheet in to the middle and then sewed up top and bottom it made a perfect fitted sheet - with a long opening down the back if that makes sense. but mine wasn't an actual amby so ymmv

octopusinabox Wed 16-Sep-09 22:32:35

I just used a normal cot/bed sheet folded and tucked under the mattress.

PacificDogwood Thu 17-Sep-09 10:13:01

Anybody else care to opine before I commit myself?
Bumpedibump for morning crowd.
smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now