Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Are Ecover cleaning products really 'green' or am I gullible?

(27 Posts)
sobernow Fri 03-Jun-05 17:21:24

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

misdee Fri 03-Jun-05 17:23:01

how about making ;laundry gloop? is that better for the enviroment?

sobernow Fri 03-Jun-05 17:24:14

Janh Fri 03-Jun-05 17:29:38

I use their dishwasher tabs - I think they were recommended somewhere once (Guardian maybe?), and also I get the impression that dishwasher detergents generally are harsher for the environment than laundry detergents. They actually wash very well and don't scratch the glasses at all, better than eg Finish IMHO. (Expensive though, 3.99 for 25, and I can only get them in Booths.)

Have also just started buying their loo cleaner, although as it's colourless people keep using the loo and flushing it before I've had a chance to scrub it so I end up using more of it - not sure how green that is

lalaa Fri 03-Jun-05 17:33:08

i use ecover handwash, washing up liquid and loo cleaner. i've tried the detergent (didn't work for me) and the general kitchen cleaner spray stuff (ok, but alternate with some non-green stuff as not entirely convinced it really cleans). i do like it and i like the thought of me doing my bit for the environment.

lunachic Fri 03-Jun-05 17:39:52

cant use ecover the wash up gives me excema and the washing powder gives me and ds a rash

dont agree with your dh though think hes just trying to wind you up !

sure its better than fairy crap which is v.nasty

i use neways stuff its good and env.fren. check them out online

lunachic Fri 03-Jun-05 17:39:53

cant use ecover the wash up gives me excema and the washing powder gives me and ds a rash

dont agree with your dh though think hes just trying to wind you up !

sure its better than fairy crap which is v.nasty

i use neways stuff its good and env.fren. check them out online

Janh Fri 03-Jun-05 17:40:49

Found the source - Leo Hickman's ethical living column

It talks about various other issues too, and this page lists all the individual reports.

sobernow Fri 03-Jun-05 19:16:17

Whizzz Fri 03-Jun-05 19:18:19

A safety tip is not to put the dishwasher on before you go to bed - in case something goes wrong & it overheats.
Just thought I'd throw that in !

noma Fri 03-Jun-05 19:34:01

I use ecover washing up liquid its better then that fairy rubbish it dosent leave any taste on your cups like fairy, ruins a nice cuppa!

Janh Fri 03-Jun-05 20:02:16

This bit from Leo's column made me laugh:

<<The auditors say that in our modern society, where we do little hard manual labour and change our clothes daily, there is no need to thrash laundry around in a machine for two hours with hot water and chemicals, when a light, warm rinse will do. So we start making all our washes run on a "half load" setting, which cuts the energy and water consumption considerably.>>

You can tell nobody at his house plays football all year round! (They can't spill food down their clothes either, although with a toddler in the house I find that hard to believe...)

My DH is quite cynical about all this stuff too, sobernow - expects me to be able to quote specific statistics to back up eg "only boil the amount of water you need" and "don't run the tap while you brush your teeth". We have low-energy lightbulbs in hall and landing and as our house is a middle terrace I prefer to leave them on all day, even when it's sunny - he goes out of his way to switch them off. OTOH we have 50w halogen spots in the kitchen (6 of them!) and bathroom (3)and he turns them on and leaves them on on bright sunny mornings. He also has been known to wander away from the kitchen sink leaving the hot tap running full pelt down the plughole. (I think he only does it to annoy me )

morningpaper Fri 03-Jun-05 20:05:46

I live with a cynic too! He comes back with bleach and loads of strong chemical stuff when I ask for the greener stuff. And he moans CONSTANTLY about buying organic fruit and veg! Drives me nuts.

pootlepod Fri 03-Jun-05 20:19:37

I am gradually changing over from normal stuff to ecover. I like the ecover dishwasher tablets, but I don't use their rinse aid, i use white vinegar, much cheaper and the glasses come out lovely. We also use loo cleaner and washing up liquid, found those to be ok. I have a plant spray filled with half water and half vinegar for the kitchen and highchair. I also use the washing powder/liquid and am not too impressed with that, must admit I still use vanish stuff when needed.
I haven't decided whether to make my own cleaners for the bathroom or get ecover, will see if the vinegar spray is effective I guess.

Janh Fri 03-Jun-05 20:23:21

I don't use rinse aid at all and glasses still come out gleaming - I am so impressed with those tablets! (Soft water here mind you so no salt either - still, give it a try next time you run out, pootlepod?)

Janh Fri 03-Jun-05 20:29:40

Which magazine tested laundry detergents quite recently and sadly the evil multinational products knocked spots (haha) off Ecover and Surcare for cleaning, so I have been buying Ariel or Persil non-bio ever since and they really are better.

(They only tested powders and tablets, not liquids - they said none of the tablets were any good, and colour powders weren't much better, but for bio and non-bio the best were Ariel & Persil. I use liquid but the same seems to apply.)

SamN Fri 03-Jun-05 20:35:32

Another one with a cynical partner - or perhaps he's just not bothered about saving the earth. Leaves everything on all over the place and (my favourite little gripe) uses loads of kitchen towel for spillages, when cloths would be far easier and re-usable too.

We use Ecover washing-up liquid, toilet cleaner, multipurpose liquid, multipurpose spray and washing liquid. That's because I buy them all, but dp does occasionally mumble about it not cleaning properly. And I have to admit I use Fairy for really stained/pooey clothes (ds1 toilet training at the moment ).

I keep thinking I shoudl look into eco-friendly 'home recipes' but haven't really got round to it. Like the idea about using vinegar instead of rinseaid. I shall take a peep at Leo Hickman's article too.

Frizbe Fri 03-Jun-05 20:42:04

We use the washing up liquid, which seems to work ok, and also the wash liquid and conditioner, all seem to work fine, although for tough stains, I still cheat an employ vanish haven't tried their dishwash tablets, but will give them a go, after your rave reviews!

Janh Fri 03-Jun-05 20:45:28

I stopped buying kitchen roll altogether, Sam! As well as using handfuls for spills DH always kept handfuls in his pocket to blow his nose on. Now I get coffee stains (and worse) on my teatowels and coloured napkins in the wash in his pants pockets. (Tissues out of the question apparently, despite having a box in every room. Emptying pants pockets also out of the question. Still, I feel I have struck a small blow for the environment )

sobernow Sat 04-Jun-05 13:13:07

FiveAlive Sat 04-Jun-05 13:30:01

My instinct is that you are gullible .

Does anyone actually know what is in Ecover? They don't seem to publish this kind of information which makes me extremely skeptical about their products. What is it that makes the big brands any worse for the environment?

The key thing is to use a product that actually does the job that it is supposed to, and after that to look at the quantity of product you need to use to achieve the results.

All cleaning products are subject to EU environmental standards.

I would much rather use products that I know have been tested on large numbers of consumers and have undergone rigorous scientific tests in numerous countries. Somehow I don't think Ecover has.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 04-Jun-05 13:35:36

the main ingredients are on the side of the pack for all detergents, fivealive.

ecover is green in that it has a much lower proportion of phosphates (if any - you can't buy it in Spain so i don't have a pack handy) and that is much better for the environment.Phosphates being THE big nasty in washing powder and other strong detergents.

hang on, I'll look it up.

PS I used gloop for a while but found that it's much easier to just use old fashioned soap flakes and a little washing soda - results are the same.

Chandra Sat 04-Jun-05 13:37:58

Ecover is well know in the allergy threads as a pain for eczema sufferers. If we are part of the environment... that thing is not friendly at all .

FiveAlive Sat 04-Jun-05 13:41:55

How much phosphates do they use compared to the big brands? If they are using less, what nasties to they put back in to replace them (and keep up the performance)? It's the whole cocktail that counts (formula, amount, results...), not jsut some headline ingredient.

SenoraPostrophe Sat 04-Jun-05 13:43:26

I'm not sure because it's a long time since I checked, but it is possible to wash without phosphates at all (i.e. soap powder and washing soda). Performance isn't as good, but it's good enough for most things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now