Talk

Advanced search

Mico Mini T-Bar Scooter, a balance bike or both?

(9 Posts)
Fruitgums Fri 11-Sep-09 11:36:45

Hi! I'm new to this forum and I'm looking for advice please. I am thinking of buying my DS (who is 26 months) the micro mini scooter but also like the idea of a balance bike.

In your opinion is it worth getting both? Or is one better than the other?

Any advice is greatly appreciated but I start parting with my hard earned money.

Thx

2to3 Fri 11-Sep-09 12:13:44

We have the scooters, which are fab and have lasted very well for two years. Easy to take on holiday and out for walks, and they really help with balance. You can get very cheap replacement parts from the UK distributor.

Personally I think a balance bike is not worth the expense. Once he's ready to cycle, just get him a small child's bike (we got second hand ones for £10) which allows him to reach the ground with his feet. Take the pedals off with a spanner (not as tricky as it sounds) and let him use it as a balance bike. When he can balance with his feet off the ground, put the pedals back on and let him learn to cycle properly without bothering with stabilisers.

Fruitgums Fri 11-Sep-09 12:18:15

That's fab to know. Many thanks for your response.

mummydarlingsausage Fri 11-Sep-09 14:35:07

Hi, my ds 2 has a scooter and balance bike. He does use the bike a lot more - I think he likes the ease of it and the speed. We take the ds's to a local cycle path and it is great for us as we can walk some distance and he basically goes faster than us so it is great to walk nice and fast. I think he will get into the scooter more when he's a bit older. I wish my dd 6 had used a balance bike as she is really struggling with balancing on a bike and not able to ride yet. she can however ride her scooter no problem which she found easy in comparison. so i would personally start with the bike as i've found that if you start later with a bike it's harder to learn than a scooter. hth

Fruitgums Fri 11-Sep-09 16:23:17

Hmm a mixed response. The problem with buying the bablance bike is that my DS is far too short for it..... Think I'll buy the bike for his christmas present & hope that he has a growth spurt

Vinegar Fri 11-Sep-09 20:42:24

My dd had both. Personally I feel for a two year old, the scooter is better. We bought the balance bike for dd when she was 3 and felt that was the right age. Both were great and much used, think the scooter was used slightly more than the bike though.

shivster1980 Fri 11-Sep-09 20:45:09

My DS has a mini micro scooter and it was money well spent he is now 3.3 and has used it nearly every day for the 5 months he has had it. Took him very little practise to master it.

lockets Fri 11-Sep-09 20:46:15

Message withdrawn

Fruitgums Sat 12-Sep-09 22:08:39

Ladies, many thanks for your response. It seems that the scooter is the favourite.

Cheers for sharing x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now