Talk

Advanced search

Seagrass, coir, sisal or ....?

(12 Posts)
Issymum Thu 02-Jun-05 16:01:45

I'm looking for some natural rugs and runners with plain cotton borders to distract from our naff but practical laminate flooring in our hall, playroom etc.

Which of the different types of rug should I go for? The rugs need to be reasonably easy to clean or even better not show the dirt too badly but not so bristly under-foot that I can't bear to walk on it bare-foot.

I'm having a bit of a 'Desperate Housewives' day today - practical floor-coverings, dinner menus for DH's colleagues. Must do more work!

lemonice Thu 02-Jun-05 16:25:35

They do tend to create a lot of dust and shed fibres particularly coir and sisal I think (possibly allergy problems with coir if susceptible I am)

desperatehousewife Thu 02-Jun-05 16:26:56

yes well....!

I would say that coir et al will be a nightmare anywhere around children...bits of ground in chocolate and toast or crisps or whatever are a nightmare to get out of the coir bits. Depends on your budget - but if money not so much of an object - rubber floor tiles - big old tiles that are durable, warm, non slippy and come in any colour you can imagine. They are about £45 per sqm though.

ninah Thu 02-Jun-05 16:29:18

anyone put me right on how to pronounce coir? sorry this does not answer the question, but I do wonder ..

desperatehousewife Thu 02-Jun-05 16:29:53

pronounced Koir

ninah Thu 02-Jun-05 16:32:10

Sorry still no wiser!
as in Koy-er?

desperatehousewife Thu 02-Jun-05 16:36:48

exactly!

Chandra Thu 02-Jun-05 16:38:37

Seagrass is easy to clean and most spills wont leave a mark. However it is hard underfeet and not nice for a kid to sit and play on it, and... it smells on humid days.

Sissal is softer and a child can play on it, though is a nightmare to keep it clean, and most spills create marks that could not be removed. (even water)

Coir gets also marked easily, it hurts under feet unless you get a very delicate briding that may be a bit expensive.

I have had the 3 of them, and so far the most easy to care was the seagrass. It was fine in a flat with no children or pets but sice we have the two of them, every rug we have got has been ruined in less than a couple of months.

Don't know if this helps but anyways...

motherinferior Thu 02-Jun-05 16:39:44

I like coir, simply because I remember learning about Coir as one of the Many Uses Of The Coconut as a pig-tailed child at Bishop Cotton's Girl's School in Bangalore in 1970.

You haven't been chatting to DP, have you? He came back yesterday carrying £300's worth of gorgeous new rug, which perhaps answers your question about why we have separate finances

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 16:41:22

I don't know what we have got as we inherited it with the house - it is golden in colour, quite rough and in a biggish herringbone pattern. We cant work out whether it is coir or seagrass or what, BUT it is brilliant. It still looks in great condition. We have a big rug over the middle of it (soft to sit on) but the high traffic areas still look nice. I want it throughout now but don't know what it is

it does show water marks though

Enid Thu 02-Jun-05 16:42:14

mi what a sweet image

motherinferior Thu 02-Jun-05 16:47:12

I think there are about 20 Uses of the Coconut. It is a very useful plant.

We had to wear special green bloomers too, Enid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now