Talk

Advanced search

I need a new TUMBLE DRYER but I don't quite get it - is condensation better than evacuation? And is spending a lot on one really worth it?

(13 Posts)
castille Sun 06-Sep-09 14:52:17

Currently have an evacuation one - we have a hole for the tubey thing in the utility room - but there seems to be loads more choice of condensation models. Are they better in some way?

And is it worth spending £££ on one - do the mmassively expensive ones really save that much electricity?

akhems Sun 06-Sep-09 14:54:59

I have a condenser one and it just means that instead of having the pipe, it has a container to catch the water which you empty periodically. I find it very good, doesn't use a lot of electricty and for example will dry a whole machine load of towels in 50 minutes.

I think I paid about £129 for it about 6 months or so ago.

Hope that helps

castille Sun 06-Sep-09 15:13:17

Thanks akhems, gosh that's cheap. What brand?

I live in France where we can buy mostly identical models of white goods as in the UK but for a lot more moneysad

But I still don't get why there are so many more condensers if they have no specific advantages...

spicemonster Sun 06-Sep-09 15:16:55

It's probably because condenser dryers used to be very expensive but they've come down massively in price and they are much more convenient that evacuation ones in that you can put them anywhere - they just need a plug to work.

cookielove Sun 06-Sep-09 15:18:35

we have one at our nursery and it is rubbish, we do alot of washing and it takes several hours for ours to dry even the smallest of loads we often resort to putting clothes sheets e.t.c out on fences to dry, thank god the weather is half decent.

I can let u know the make on monday so u can avoid that brand if you want?

castille Sun 06-Sep-09 15:22:17

Ah if that's all it is then ok, I'll stick with evacuation.

Our old one was a dodgy brand, and prob not at all economical, I'm quite glad it's broken (after 10 years...)!

I was thinking of a Bosch as people rave about their reliability, are they worth the cash?

spicemonster Sun 06-Sep-09 15:24:08

Mine is a Bosch Classixx and it's brilliant - very efficient

Haylstones Sun 06-Sep-09 15:37:15

I've got a condenser dryer and love it- a container underneath collects all the water and a light flashes when it's time to empty it. If you have a gap to stick the vent through there's probably no difference, although my condenser does seem bigger than most normal ones I've seen (it takes 6kg, no idea how that compares!)

MilaMae Sun 06-Sep-09 17:01:11

I have a Bosch condensor,it's brilliant. They can live in the garage.

GrapefruitMoon Sun 06-Sep-09 17:03:37

Oh akhems please come back and tell us which one you have - my condenser is rubbish and I would be really tempted to replace it at that price...

akhems Mon 07-Sep-09 08:44:21

Just seen you wanted to know which one, sorry

it's this one Price has gone up now tho

GetOrfMoiLand Mon 07-Sep-09 08:51:41

I have bosch washing machines - would not use anything else as they are so reliable.

Condenser machines are only useful really if you need to put them somewhere where you can't run a pipe to the outside. If you already have a space with a hole for the pipe I would just get a normal tumble drier, tbh.

I had a condenser a couple of years ago, it was great as it lived in an outhouse without a window. You do have to remember to empty the water container though, many a time I was tumble drying something urgently, had forgotten to empty the container, and the clothes were just being tumbled around in a cold machine. Perhaps that was just my crappy model though. In any case that has put me off getting another condenser. It seemed to take longer to dry things than a normal one as well.

akhems Mon 07-Sep-09 10:51:47

The one I have has a light that comes on when the water needs emptying and it just stops and won't start til you do it.

With you on the Bosch.. I had a Bosch dishwasher years ago and when it died I bought a different brand which is absolute shite. Hoping it dies soon so I can get another Bosch, lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now