Talk

Advanced search

Fires - help please - bit long I'm afraid

(8 Posts)
NeedaNewName Sat 05-Sep-09 20:39:33

God it sems like I'm always on here asking for advice!

We've recently moved into a new house and there is no fireplace - not even a hole in the wall - was blocked up years ago.

Anyway, I want a fireplace - something to look good, finish off the room - focal point etc and give extra heat during those cold winter months.

So off we go today to have a look at the traditional gas fireplaces - simple surround with a basket - you get the picture. Whilst chatting with the guy he suggested that a stove might be better for us - more economical - heat wise and money.

So am now completely confused! Love the idea of having a wood or multi fuel stove - all the good points of real fire with the added bonus of being able to shut it off when we want to go to bed but am confused on which one to go for and what kind of surround.

Or do we stick with the original plan? The only thing he said was that you are prettymuch paying to heat up the chimney so not very eficient.

If you've got this far - well done and thank you! So what would you recommend?

NeedaNewName Sat 05-Sep-09 20:58:17

Sorry I know its long - but anyone?

cahu Sun 06-Sep-09 10:18:21

They look quite different so is it not just a matter of how you want the room to look or is the economy of it the most important issue? Which would suit the room better?

nappyzoneisback Sun 06-Sep-09 10:24:44

does it pollute them atmosphere with dirty brown smoke more if a stove? or just same as any gas jobby.

throckenholt Sun 06-Sep-09 10:26:42

stoves are much more efficient than open fires - and better when they are not alight in that you don't have an open chimney for the heat to escape out of.

There are lots of different types of stoves - both traditional and modern designs. you can have free standing ones that don't sit in a fireplace - and I think it is better if you can have the chimney pipe inside rather than outside because they you get he benefit of any heat in it too.

Your best bet is to find a local stove place and ask their advice. I am guessing it will be much cheaper to have a stove fitted than a fireplace and chimney.

You do have to consider if it is a wood burner - have you got somewhere to stack enough wood to keep you going through the winter ?

throckenholt Sun 06-Sep-09 10:28:04

by the way - in terms of carbon footprint - wood burning stoves are much better than gas or coal or oil because they are not burning fossil fuels.

TheDMshouldbeRivened Sun 06-Sep-09 10:36:00

stoves are very efficient. And much better than a gas fire.
But it can be expensive lining the chimney and having one installed. We have 2 open fires and would love a wood burning stove but it was £££££££££££££££

NeedaNewName Tue 08-Sep-09 23:28:49

Thanks all

I think I've got myhead around the idea (and I've seen some pictures) of stoves with a surround.

We would be looking at having it in a chimney breast rather than against the wall so yes we have to get a surbery done re lining the chimney etc so it may not be possible.

DH def prefers a wood burner as opposed to gas due to effeciency and environment but it will unfortunatley come down to money.

We have been recommended to a local store that sells stoves - in fact it was them that recomended the stove as opposed to a more traditional fireplace once we described our wants to them

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now