Talk

Advanced search

SLR cameras. Are they worth the money?

(8 Posts)
HeinzSight Sat 05-Sep-09 12:06:26

We're toying with the idea of getting one, but they're pretty expensive. Is the picture quality worth the investment?

ThingumyandBob Sat 05-Sep-09 12:32:48

They are quite a lot of money, I shelled out for one because I prefer natural pictures of the family rather than the formal ones that you have taken in a studio, just personal opinion, probably based on the fact that my parents had SLR cameras when we were growing up and the pictures of us when we were growing up were so good an very natural.

I bought an ‘entry level’ Nikon SLR and I love it, I have some amazing pictures, all taken on the automatic setting or with the flash overridden to off (hold the camera still). The quality and the lighting in the pictures are fantastic. The idea is I’m learning how to use it on the manual settings. I have an old tripod too and a remote control so I can still set up a portrait if I want to.

My parents had one when we were growing up and the pictures of us when we were growing up were fantastic.

The only down side is the size, you have to be quite into taking your pictures, it not like you can just keep the camera in your hand bag!

HeinzSight Sat 05-Sep-09 12:47:31

That's interesting, I've just been looking at this one. Do you think it looks like a decent one?

ThingumyandBob Sat 05-Sep-09 17:21:08

I would say it looks good, I have the D40x and the D60 is the replacement model of my one, it doesn't look like they have gone up in price either which is a bonus. The D60 looks very similar to my one too, if it is similar to mine (which it probably is as most Nikons are) it will be very simple to use, I can’t be spending ages figuring out what to do with a toddler round my ankles!

My model had good reviews plus I’ve had Nikons in the past and been hugely impressed with the picture quality (including and ‘old’ film SLR years ago, a hand me down from my Dad).

NeedaNewName Sat 05-Sep-09 20:23:08

SLR - sooooooo much better. I have taken some absolutely fab photos on my old manual and new digital.

Does cost more money - either with the old style the cost of the films and developing them or the digital ones the initial outlay, but if you love photos and taking them def worht the money.

SparkyToo Thu 10-Sep-09 21:00:16

We would highly recommend them.

RubberDuck Thu 10-Sep-09 21:04:42

Y E S !

Does that answer your question?

RubberDuck Thu 10-Sep-09 21:07:27

To be more helpful, I have had both the Canon 400D and currently the Nikon D90... both awesome cameras with different strengths.

Nikon D90 I switched to because dh is a Nikon afficionado and has more kit than me (and I wanted to "borrow" it :D). High ISO photography is a LOT less grainy than the Canon too which was another main reason for me to switch (I loathe using flash).

Canon 400D though was also a lovely camera. Pictures are much sharper out of the camera than the Nikon but doesn't have video (although the newer Canons do I think?). Lenses are also cheaper for the equivalent Nikon but the kit lens is lower quality.

Basically it's down to personal preference

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now