Talk

Advanced search

Please come and recommend your best maternity pads/breast pads/nipple creams etc

(19 Posts)
mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 15:11:34

Am going to do some shopping this weekend. Want to know where to buy the best maternity pads (boots or mothercare?)preferably something that doesnt make me feel like Im wearing a mattress in my knickers but still really absorbent
And breast pads (are the Lansinoh ones really better?) I remember them being scratchy and uncomfortable, there must be some nice soft ones out there?
And some cream to prevent me getting sore nipples as that was the one thing that ended me bf ds last time sad

Any other similar recommendations would be great thanks smile

lecohen Fri 04-Sep-09 15:50:48

best breast pads imo are boots ones - they are indiv wrapped and slim and a good size and very absorbent...

Maternity pads - Tena pads for incontinence or something lol

lecohen Fri 04-Sep-09 15:51:23

How long have u got left? x

amazonianwoman Fri 04-Sep-09 15:53:11

Tesco pads are fine.

I only used washable breast pads - the disposable ones felt yuck and used to disintegrate. Can't remember which brand - maybe Lansinoh? Didn't like the Avent washable ones.

Lansinoh cream is good - but the best way to prevent sore nipples is to get the latch right. And the best way to do that is to arrange an appointment with a trained BF counsellor asap after the birth (NCT or La Leche League) Don't rely on advice you get from the hospital midwives - they're great at their jobs but they just don't have time to sit with you helping you to get your technique right smile

mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:09:47

Ok so Boots own brand breast pads?

Do Tesco do maternity pads then? I didnt know that.

Have 9 weeks left and counting grin

Lansinoh everything, nipple cream is essential imo, you can have the best latch in the world but after all day feeding for a week they are still going to apreciate some soothing.

Their disposable pads are the only ones that stay in place and don't leak and their washables are lovely.

Alibabaandthe40nappies Fri 04-Sep-09 16:16:51

Boots do a slim but maxi maternity pad which I found to be brilliant. I could wear 2 at once (necessary for about 4/5 days IIRC) without waddling like a duck.

TT disposable breast pads were the best I tried. Avent washable ones are shite, very hard for sore nips and they show terribly under clothes.

Lansinoh nipple cream is the best, slather it on like there is no tomorrow!

suwoo Fri 04-Sep-09 16:30:42

Lansinoh is a fabulous miracle cream! I'm sure it has been many womens salvation, it certainly was mine.

mosschops30 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:32:24

Hey suwoo smile hows the baby? Im still plodding (literally) along!

So looks like Lansinoh is the way to go - the only way grin great will buy tons of the stuff.

suwoo Fri 04-Sep-09 16:44:26

I've used less than half a tube and I used it a lot, so only buy one for now.

He is fine thank you, small but perfectly formed wink.

alana39 Fri 04-Sep-09 16:48:14

Some of the breast pads are thin but bigger diameter IYSWIM - I think the ones I used were Tommee Tippee but the packaging all changed while I was using them and can't remember if the name did (5 years ago!). They were fab, hated the small thick ones.

Kamillosan cream (think it has camomile) was recommended by midwife and smells quite strong but babies didn't mind and it really helped.

octopusinabox Fri 04-Sep-09 20:06:57

lansinoh nipple cream is really good.

I'd also recommend johnsons breast pads as they are definitely the softest I've used. I've tried the super thin ones, the own brand cheapies etc but most are at least a bit scratchy. If you want the super thin ones then the own brand (at least the tescos ones and the breastfeeding heaven ones) are just as good as the expensive tommee tipee or lansinoh ones. The johnsons ones are also the only ones that seem to stay in place too.

sammysamsam Fri 04-Sep-09 23:11:17

i agree with alana39 i used (still using 8months on...) boots own brand breastpads, ginormous diameter (came in a big pink box- not individually wrapped- disposable with stiicky thingie on back to stick onto the bra cup etc) anyways, and i used kamillosan which was smelly and yellow, but a god send. didn't try lansinoh, didn't need to.
just remember the first few days (weeks!?) of bf, don't forget to apply a little breastmilk onto your nipples and then air them after every feed.. also, the first few days when the colostrum (sp) is there, apply that to them after every feed too, it helps so much.
i had a community bf nurse come to me on a few occasions, and dhe was great. the midwives at my hospital were just as fab- though i did have both kids in a 'birthing centre' so they were all pro the bf and all things natural..
good luck!

plonker Fri 04-Sep-09 23:20:23

Another vote for lansinoh - I wouldn't have made it without lansinoh!!

As for breastpads, I agree with alana and sammy. I much prefered the larger and thinner breastpads. I used tommytippee but did use boots aswell. Both good.

Good luck smile

katiepotatie Fri 04-Sep-09 23:28:14

Lansinoh cream.

Tommee Tippee breastpads are the best
Boots ultra slim and Tescos Ultra slim are close second and are half the price.

Although I am now trying Lilypadz, so I can sleep naked for then first time in 4 months!

I just used "always" sanitary pads, the thick ones at the begining, then on to the ultra afterwards

Good Luck smile

lecohen Sat 05-Sep-09 09:26:09

Breast pads - The boots ultra thin ones I mentioned are by far my first choice - the TT ones are funny shaped if I am not mistaken???

cats07 Sat 05-Sep-09 22:08:15

And you can probably get Lansinoh on prescription from your doc, which will be free!! And it's brilliant on nasty nappy rashes (a nice waterproof layer which lets the skin underneath heal), and on those nasty little cracks you get on your fingers in winter.

In conclusion - stock up!!

busybutterfly Sun 06-Sep-09 00:00:41

Always night pads were the best maternity pads for me. With breast pads I found you get what you pay for and cheap ones are bloody uncomfortable! Lansinoh best nipple cream. x

janx Sun 06-Sep-09 16:23:32

I found the best breast pads by far were nature baby ones....I was a serial leaker for absoutely months and they were the most absorbant. Tried lots of other makes including the washable ones and always came back to those ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now