Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Should we switch from PC to Mac?

(15 Posts)
franch Wed 01-Jun-05 07:57:14

Need to get a new computer and know a couple of Mac freaks who are talking us into it. Do you have experience of both? What are the pros and cons? How easy is it to make the switch?

hub2dee Wed 01-Jun-05 08:37:08

I have experience of both, but am (now) a biased Mac Freak.

The great thing about Windows is its universaility - everyone knows how to use it, there's a massive pile of software for it, everyone at work / friends use it etc. etc.

That's good. It means prices are low and accessory hardware is available / competitively priced.

However, it also means the platform is a target for virus writers and spyware which is a boring pain. It also means the hardware you might find inside any two PCs can be very different (sound cards, graphics cards etc. etc.) and sometimes incompatibilities in drivers can cause problems.

I spent years building boxes, troubleshooting, rebooting. In the end I had enough and got off the roundabout. Bought a Mac and have never looked back. It's a very different system, which might take you a little while to get used to, but I love it. Stuff tends to 'just work' more for me on my Mac than on a PC - ie. I spend more time using it and less time f**king around with stupid settings. Also, the Mac is highly optimised to messing around with multimedia - images, video, sound. It's a doddle to import and share images from a digital camera and I understand the movie / DVD stuff is fab too (I'm a stills man myself). The iTunes / iPod integration is (perhaps not surprisingly) even better on the Mac than the PC.

I sent my dad a link the other day here which was written by some heavyweight computer blokey who just moved to Mac because he was also so sick of the security weaknesses.

There is a dedicated portion of the Apple site for 'Switchers' here .

You might want to visit the Apple store on Regent Street for good advice and all round glitz.

BearintheBigBlueHouse Wed 01-Jun-05 09:11:50

Oh yes - go for it. DW had concerns about compatibility with her work's PC platform, but since we loaded Office/Word for Mac it's a doddle to send docs home and amend and send back etc - not that she gets on my Powerbook much. You could also run Virtual PC which emulates the platform completely but without the downsides of Windows. I've used iMovie and iDVD and they're a breeze to use and can lead to semi-pro output (well the audience thought it was paid for). We have a PC that's barely been booted up since the sleek aluminium P'book arrived

Lexie100 Wed 01-Jun-05 09:34:27

I switched from pc to mac due to my new department all using them. It did take a while to get used to it but i love it now and really don't like using pc's. Plus my computer is soooooo pretty you just don't get pretty pc.

Go for it.

Pruni Wed 01-Jun-05 09:52:21

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Wed 01-Jun-05 10:39:50

Can't some PC lovers jump in to balance the discussion ? LOL !

franch, you've really got to wonder why the Mac users are so gushy about their Apples, hey...

I'm going to be popping in to the Apple store today, and was going to offer to brainwash you, but as Pruni pointed out, the store is full of bright young things eager to reprogram your brain.

BTW - if you are 'ex PC' you may want to consider the MacMini which can be attached to any keyboard / mouse / screen you might have hanging around, and this will keep the cost down. If you need a super-powerful box (for stuff like mad research / number / video crunching), you'll want the Power Mac (it's basically their 'desktop PC' and if you want kidproof / cheap, the eMac has a large old-fashioned all in one screen design. My money goes to the laptops - save space on the desktop, easy to tidy away, use in any room, and on holidays if needed. Super styley ? iMac all in one gives you thin screen and looks amazing, 'mid range' on the power. Great model.

HTH.

Pruni Wed 01-Jun-05 15:28:27

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Wed 01-Jun-05 22:43:33

Yeah, but a little easier to move from room to room, or take with you on the train etc. I love my powerbook.

RTKangaMummy Wed 01-Jun-05 22:47:31

hub2dee

Sorry for intruding thread

Pruni Wed 01-Jun-05 23:10:17

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Wed 01-Jun-05 23:25:49

The white ones are ibooks. They are also great laptops and will take a lot of abuse.

Wasn't so big into Macs at the time of the Cube, but it was an ace computer !

Pruni Wed 01-Jun-05 23:30:10

Message withdrawn

hub2dee Wed 01-Jun-05 23:34:39

Just out of interest, why do you prefer your ibook to your powerbook ? Is it just that your powerbook has a small screen ?

Pruni Thu 02-Jun-05 06:36:52

Message withdrawn

alibubbles Thu 02-Jun-05 07:33:02

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now