Talk

Advanced search

My vacuum cleaner just died...

(18 Posts)
Poledra Mon 31-Aug-09 12:13:17

and I'm glad, I tell you, g1ad! I've never liked it.

Being a fickle type, I am already looking for a replacement. Does anyone have recommendations for what I should replace it with? (It was a Hoover 1900watt bagless, if you want the technical info grin). Please don't say a Roomba - I would love one but our old house has numerous different levels and a Roomba would swiftly be found huddled in a corner weeping with frustration. I am ashamed to say that the advertising has got to me, and I'm hankering after a Dyson ball - is it worth it?

Thanks for any help.

perdu Mon 31-Aug-09 12:16:27

I HATE my Dyson and wish it would die but then it is not a 'ball' version. The filter gets blocked all the time and then struggles to suck up the smallest thing.

I really want a Henry again, proper price, bagless and gutsy grin. I used our old one to suck up rubble before and wouldn't do that with a fancy expensive one....

AMumInScotland Mon 31-Aug-09 12:21:30

Never tried a Dyson, I'm a definite Miele convert - maybe depends a bit if you want a cylinder or an upright?

Poledra Mon 31-Aug-09 12:24:08

Good point - I usually would look for an upright. I'm 5'10'', and have previously found that the cylinders give me a bad back.

MrsEricBanaMT Mon 31-Aug-09 12:25:04

Was it a Dyson? I have never seen a Dyson that is working

Poledra Mon 31-Aug-09 20:14:26

Shameless self-bump for the evening crowd grin

Poledra Mon 31-Aug-09 23:03:50

SO no-one wants to talk vacuum cleaners with me then? Can't say I'm surprised really grin

hackedoffandcross Mon 31-Aug-09 23:22:20

I posted to say mine died this morning, in chat, and no one answered at allgrin

I ordered a DC24 all floors today and am v excited

hackedoffandcross Mon 31-Aug-09 23:23:58

My dear departed was a 10/11 year old dyson, I was v happy with it. Til it went on the blink last weeks and died today sad There were sparks and everything.

catinthehat2 Mon 31-Aug-09 23:25:44

You have obviously missed this thread.

Everyone's just fed up of recommending Henrys and are just throwing up their hands and tutting at you!

grin wink

Poledra Mon 31-Aug-09 23:28:05

Cor, I just googled that one and saw that its handle folds down - I might even be able to get it in the cupboard instead of having it standing in the utility room - fab!

And on the list of Things I Would Never Have Believed About Myself When I Was a Teenager:

43) That I will get excited about buying a new vacuum cleaner

grin

Poledra Mon 31-Aug-09 23:29:02

Ooops, sorry blush

WIll search more thoroughly first next time, I promise.

catinthehat2 Mon 31-Aug-09 23:30:59

Seriously, I've got on well with mine and would recommend.

hackedoffandcross Mon 31-Aug-09 23:32:06

Only £169 and free delivery from John Lewis, am quite chuffed tbh<<sad housewife>>

hackedoffandcross Mon 31-Aug-09 23:33:19

Oh, and I'm sorry too grin Note to self - must check products, and good housekeeping next time

hackedoffandcross Tue 01-Sep-09 22:26:25

So I ordered it yesterday at 10.30 from JL, on a bank holiday, and it came at lunchtime today - didn't opt for next day delivery or anythinggringrin It's really dinky, with the handle down it's only up to my crotch and I am a shortarse.

Poledra Tue 01-Sep-09 22:30:45

So has the whole house been vacuumed then, Hackedoff?? And could you bring it round mine please (13-month-old DD3 had rice for tea........)?

hackedoffandcross Tue 01-Sep-09 23:11:00

I only set it up about 8.30 tonight so giving it a whirl tomorrowgrin Am rather excited, I have 2.5yo and 8mo BLW so my carpets...well they need more than a good vacuum franklysmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now