Talk

Advanced search

Buying a secondhand piano?

(8 Posts)
npg1 Sat 29-Aug-09 21:36:35

Hi, there is someone just up the road who is selling a piano for £30, its a Pohlmann piano, I know nothing about pianos! My DD is 6yrs old and wants lessons and I would quite like to learn so was thinking would it be a good purchase?

It needs re tuning also, does anyone know how much this would cost?

Thanks

WebDude Sun 30-Aug-09 16:55:33

Tuning cost might vary by region - and availability... Might get a better idea if you mention county or city near you.

AMumInScotland Sun 30-Aug-09 17:09:57

Tuning costs about £50 round us. But if it's an old piano it may actually be garbage and not able to be tuned, or else not hold the tune for very long till you have to get it redone. It might be a bargain, or it might not, it's very hard to tell when you're buying privately and it's not currently in tune. My SIL bought one, and it could not be tuned at all!

ChookKeeper Sun 30-Aug-09 17:37:59

The first one we bought was £100 and a real bargain (we thought). But when we got someone in to tune it all the strings had been overtightened and it couldn't be tuned - oh and it was full of woodworm sad.

We didn't make that mistake again and got someone who knew about pianos to check out the next one for us.

WebDude Sun 30-Aug-09 18:29:52

Sounds like an appointment for a piano tuner to act as the OP's 'expert buyer' to advise whether it is worth getting...

snorkle Sun 30-Aug-09 18:50:47

Aside from the tuning issue it would be worth getting an expert to look at it first anyway. If it needs restringing that costs £££ (almost certainly far more than it's worth) and if the hammers are very worn (so there's barely any felt left where they strike the keys) it is also very costly to refelt them. So it could not be worth it at any price.

If you call a local tuner you could ask how much he would charge both for tuning and to look it over (he'd have to tune it AFTER it had been moved). If the seller has had it tuned remotely recently then it might be worth asking who did it & contacting them as they might have an opinion as to its tunability and what work might need doing from memory. If it turns out that this one isn't really for you then a local tuner may well know of another that is, or be able to keep an eye out for you.

Mybox Sun 30-Aug-09 18:52:41

If he's just starting on the piano then £30 sounds great. Will it be delivered to you? Also have the tuner come round asap to get it sorted. If it is awful at least you've not spent lots.

Tangle Mon 31-Aug-09 16:29:54

Its definitely worth getting an opinion of a piano tuner before you buy it - getting it home won't be trivial (pianos are HEAVY) and you want to find out whether its a non-starter before you take that step.

Getting hold of the current owner's tuner would be a very good first step - if they've had it for a few years and never had it tuned then I'd probably back away. Piano's last a lot better with a bit of TLC.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now