Talk

Advanced search

Anywhere apart from Ikea that I can buy a sofa from and pick up there and then?

(22 Posts)
fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 17:04:44

The sofa in the kids play area has fallen apart today. I need to replace it, and def need the new one in place by next Sat as it is DDs party then.

Most places I have been looking at specify 6-8 weeks for delivery. I know Ikea have sofas you can pick up on the day but would prefer to avoid a trip to Ikea in the holidays.

Is there anywhere else I can get a sofa from either immediately or with 1 week delivery?

foxinsocks Wed 26-Aug-09 17:06:41

have you tried John Lewis? They have an express delivery scheme.

fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 17:29:50

No, I haven't. Thank you for the tip. I'll check them out (though I fear they may be too expensive there).

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 26-Aug-09 17:31:06

Ikea deliver sofas - we waited about 10 days for delivery ..

JL ones were really expensive

Fimbo Wed 26-Aug-09 17:32:19

Would some of the bigger Argos have them in stock?

Fimbo Wed 26-Aug-09 17:32:51

Or some of the other catalogues shops like Littlewoods etc may be quicker delivery times.

fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 17:34:53

Haven't shopped at Argos before - can you check out the furniture for comfort there? (i.e. do they have the stock on display?)

fleshwound - I want to try before buying, so would still need to venture into Ikea

littlerach Wed 26-Aug-09 17:35:47

Cargo used ot have them in stock.

Fimbo Wed 26-Aug-09 17:38:46

We have a very big Argos Extra and they have things on display for you to try out.

Itsjustafleshwound Wed 26-Aug-09 17:39:04

Not such a good idea then smile

hocuspontas Wed 26-Aug-09 17:39:14

Forget Argos!!!

2 months ago I ordered a sofa on-line. After you pay they then tell you they will contact you within 6 weeks (!) about a delivery date. On the last day of the 6 weeks they rang to tell me they were having 'problems' with the manufacturers and would contact me in September. GRRR! I specifically ordered it in June so it could be delivered during the holidays.

Fimbo Wed 26-Aug-09 17:39:44

Have you got any local places? Ex catalogue shops etc.

fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 18:13:31

but a welcome one fleshwound
DH insists I try for comfort after we bought a sofa without trying ince and it was awful - couldn't sit in it for more than 5 mins.

Don't think we have a Cargo nearby, but I'll look into it. I remember that shop from when I lived in London and liked it. Hadn't thought to check there, so thanks LittleRach.

Fimbo - not sure if there is somewhere like that locally, but I'll look into it.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. And hocus - hope your sofa woes are over soon.

lucykate Wed 26-Aug-09 18:30:08

i would just stick with ikea. is there someone you can get to babysit and go one evening to avoid the crowds?, it's open till at least 10pm.

fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 18:43:25

I might just do that LucyKate. As much as I would love to move away from filling my house from Ikea, they are just too damn convenient and reliable.
But hell on earth to venture round with kids in tow!

woodenchair Wed 26-Aug-09 19:07:04

What about Tesco? Have just had a look on their website and you might be able to pick up from a store, don't know how quickly though.

fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 19:20:35

ooh, hadn't thought of them - thanks

hocuspontas Wed 26-Aug-09 20:18:29

Homebase sometimes have take-aways on the shop floor

hocuspontas Wed 26-Aug-09 20:19:14

They are the same as Argos

lucykate Wed 26-Aug-09 20:54:35

thing with ikea is, if the sofa is for a playroom area, go straight to the bargain corner, you may strike it lucky with a cheap ex-display.

SoupDragon Wed 26-Aug-09 20:57:41

TBH, Ikea is a great balance of quality and price. When I go, I get there for 9:30, have a free coffee in the restaurant and then head straight for what I want to get. Relatively painless! You can't beat an Ektorp sofa fort comfort and robustness IMO

fanjolina Wed 26-Aug-09 22:23:25

I think I will go for Ikea. As you say Soupy - great balance of quality and price. And more importantly style. Hadn't realised how fuddy duddy or bland the offerings were elsewhere.

Dspite my best intentions, I don't think I'll ever de-Ikeafy my house!

Good tip about bargain corner Kate - will def look there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now