Talk

Advanced search

How long do Dyson's normally last?

(29 Posts)
ThisIsWhyYouWereToldNotTo Sun 23-Aug-09 19:00:01

It ain't sucking things up from the main hoover part (just the hose - which is also broken).

DH is taking it apart now, but just wondering how long they normally "live" anyway...

feedthegoat Sun 23-Aug-09 20:50:51

I don't know what the average is but ours lasted less than 2 years. I was fed up of all the plastic bits breaking off so I skipped it in the end as some major parts had broken.

My mum also went through two in about 5 years before she swapped brands too.

PitysSake Sun 23-Aug-09 20:51:25

not long as no one cleans the filters imo

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Sun 23-Aug-09 20:54:49

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

ByTheSea Sun 23-Aug-09 20:56:10

I had two over ten years and numerous repairs and was very unhappy. Have now bought a Miele Cat and Dog and I'm thrilled with it so far. It sucks so much better than the Dyson EVER did.

morocco Sun 23-Aug-09 20:58:44

did it come with the 5 year parts and labour guarantee? ours is fine so far - fingers crossed - 2 years old - our non-dysons have always given out about the 2 year mark.

ThisIsWhyYouWereToldNotTo Sun 23-Aug-09 20:59:41

Turned out there was a HUGE hair ball in the main bit.

I have cleaned the filter a couple of times... I think....

ThisIsWhyYouWereToldNotTo Sun 23-Aug-09 21:00:14

5 yr guarantee would have passed about a month ago if we had one.

poppy34 Sun 23-Aug-09 21:00:39

I've had mine 13 years too- was about to suggest it could be hair or something in the tube.

skymoo Sun 23-Aug-09 21:00:55

I read somewhere that if you get the Dyson repair man in, he replaces all the parts and stuff for about £50. Not sure where I read that though....hmmm

I've had my 'animal' for over 2 years now and it's been fine. Still haven't got around to cleaning the filter out either!!!

feedthegoat Sun 23-Aug-09 21:02:43

Our Dyson was a wedding present and I just couldn't face the hassle of having to badger the person who bought it to moan it was rubbish!

We had a hoover after that which dh hated and we're now back to using the little electrolux cylinder cleaner we were originally using 8 years ago when we were given the Dyson!

herbietea Sun 23-Aug-09 21:07:03

Message withdrawn

Rubyrubyrubyrubi Sun 23-Aug-09 21:09:14

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

crockydoodle Sun 23-Aug-09 21:09:47

Am I the only person on here who has a dyson washing machine? Just curious.

crockydoodle Sun 23-Aug-09 21:10:14

I have had it for 7 years.

Kbear Sun 23-Aug-09 21:12:13

I just got my serviced at local electrical shop - £18 plus new £5 part (secondhand) and it's back to sucking the paint off the walls! It's 7 years old.

TrinityRhino Sun 23-Aug-09 21:13:40

mines about 8 years old and fab
clean the filter once a year and cutr all the hair out of the brushes once a month

Alarielle Sun 23-Aug-09 21:33:16

We bought ours second hand 3 years ago as a put on as we had just moved out and had to buy furniture etc. and it is still going strong.

Karam Sun 23-Aug-09 22:30:39

Mine is still going strong seven years later. I would happily buy another dyson grin

pickyvic Sun 23-Aug-09 22:38:11

mine is about 8 years old - every year i get it serviced for about 50 squid and steve our lovely dyson repair man basically rebuilds it from scratch - all the parts are replaceable so it just gets rebuilt! it takes him about an hour and he gets a cuppa for his trouble!
i love dysons for that reason- just wish they were a bit lighter though - hate getting the danm thing up and down stairs!

neversaydie Sun 23-Aug-09 22:38:37

It took me ten years to break our Dyson. I replaced it with a Meile.

tatt Sun 23-Aug-09 22:51:16

Mine is probably something like 8 or 10 years old - but I do clean it regularly. Hose has some tape on it. Still hate it and would like it to break so I could get a different make.

Sazisi Sun 23-Aug-09 22:56:49

Had ours 5 years. I dont think it's as sucky as it used to be, but has been through some tough times hoovering up plaster dust etc.

Hersetta Tue 25-Aug-09 15:44:28

very pleased with the service i had from Dyson. Mine is a cylinder about 7 years old. I booked a service for last week and they turned up right when they said they would, mended my machine (the on / off switch was broken, gave it a general service, replaced the filter and ordered me a couple of new parts. A week later a new extension hose and a brand new head arrived which are priced at 30.61 and 36.32 on Dyson's web site. With the new head on my dyson is back to full suction power and i was very pleased with the fee of £63.45.

amazonianwoman Wed 26-Aug-09 11:58:58

10-11 years and still going strong. Had it serviced earlier this year cos the cord kept retracting and pulling the plug out. Dyson guy replaced the whole cable unit and serviced it, working like new again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now