Talk

Advanced search

Come and tell me about your Sat-Nav please

(18 Posts)
melanielovescupcakes Sat 22-Aug-09 22:21:10

Planning to get a sat nav for my birthday - any recommendations (or otherwise)?

Thank you

Heated Sat 22-Aug-09 22:23:15

We had a TomTom, it was never well and often thought it was in a field.

Garmin on Amazon have reviewed well.

Meglet Sat 22-Aug-09 22:28:48

I have a 2 yr old TomTom. So far no problems. I love sat nav smile.

Ponders Sat 22-Aug-09 22:28:57

I have a Garmin - 255 with EU mapping - it's been excellent. The instructions are a bit brief, & you have to eg muck about with initial settings to persuade it to use motorways, but apart from that it's never sent me into a field yet & also dings at you when speed cameras are about.

If you don't need the EU maps then the 205 is the equivalent

It's worth buying a USB cable & a wallet thing to keep it in too.

southeastastra Sat 22-Aug-09 22:29:51

mine has a really camp voice

MrsKitty Sat 22-Aug-09 22:37:02

We've got a SAony (don't know model - sorry) and it's rubbish. Takes forever to pick up a signal.

Portofino Sat 22-Aug-09 22:38:01

Sat-Navs are the work of the Devil! My DH has nearly crashed the car on several occasions fiddling with it. It always tells you to go the wrong way, but in a sexy voice I find it worrying that my DH will not believe me, his lovely intelligent wife holding a map that says the Novotel is just off junction 6, rather he wants to listen to SatNavbitch who says we need to take the E434665 and do a uturn!

Wilts Sat 22-Aug-09 22:41:24

We have a Nav Man. It has been fine although it did direct us the wrong way out of our home town when we went on holiday.
It also sent us down this awful private road that was only really wide enough for a bike on one occasion, other than that it has been ok grin

melanielovescupcakes Sun 23-Aug-09 19:15:30

thanks everyone. was watching ER last night and a couple using sat nav drove into Lake Michigan!

Ponders Sun 23-Aug-09 19:27:25

Oh, mine has never directed me into Lake Michigan smile

ILikeToMoveItMoveIt Sun 23-Aug-09 19:40:21

We used to have a TomTom which I hated.

We've just come back from France and we used our new Garmin. I thought it was fab. The screen was bigger and it just seemed a lot better to me. DH doesn't buy anything without looking at Which?, so I expect the Garmin has been highly rated.

Makingchanges Sun 23-Aug-09 19:41:52

I have the TomTom Go 540 Live - We have the live subcription feature as well which saved us hours on the way down to Cornwall recently in telling us where the traffic jams were and which way to go instead.

Ponders Sun 23-Aug-09 19:43:39

We used our Garmin in France this summer too & DH (who has always insisted on being the sole navigator & was very competitive to begin with hmm) eventually conceded that she was better than him in many instances - particularly coming on & off interchanges where you needed to change lanes instantly, which happens a lot in France. She always gave us plenty of notice, & with French drivers behind you that's invaluable grin

Now he considers her a partner...

justabout Sun 23-Aug-09 19:44:59

Message withdrawn

WorzselMummage Sun 23-Aug-09 19:48:02

We've got a tomtom. Dr thinks it's great but I'd rather use a map.

Ponders Sun 23-Aug-09 19:50:00

Dr Who, worzel? (boo-boom!)

WorzselMummage Sun 23-Aug-09 22:29:15

Oooooo I bloody wish it was dr who !

njmomof1 Tue 25-Aug-09 12:05:54

I've got a Garmin 1300T, widescreen, lovely display, great male voice on there (female british makes your eye twitch... v.irritating!) I think it's great value as the majority of the Garmin software is updatable so you should still be able to use it even if it's discontinued. Bought mine from Halfords but I'm sure there are better offers out there.

Oh and I'm never without my good old Matthew (Matty the Map) had a disaster when the fuse blew on the cigarette lighter and battery died! Ha ha ha it's funny now but at the time driving through Wales countryside with the petrol light on......you can imagine the rest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now