Talk

Advanced search

DH has hinted he may get me an iPhone for Xmas - advice and hints please

(23 Posts)
Housemum Sat 22-Aug-09 20:12:11

DH had to let slip the other day as my phone contract expires next month - he told me not to upgrade as he was considering Xmas pressie ideas. I love the look of the iPhone but want to be sure it is actually worth it - it would double my monthly outgoings, though I was thinking of that anyway with the T-Mobile G1, so that's not an issue. There seem to be 2 types, 16 & 32Gb, if I am not into downloading/storing loads of video, is the smaller one OK as the bigger one costs twice as much? Give me some clues please! And are they any good for the basics ie taking the odd photo and making calls/texting?

(PS sorry to mention the X word so soon...)

BlueKangerooWonders Sat 22-Aug-09 20:20:38

Don't wait for Christmas! You need it now...Photos are brilliant as the screen is so big. Great for texting for same reason. (can you tell I LOVE mine!)

RustyBear Sat 22-Aug-09 20:21:16

I have the 16Gb iPhone - tbh the camera is a bit basic, but OK for my needs, as I have a good normal camera & only use the iPhone for emergency photos. I currently have 670 photos & 953 songs on mine, as well as 49 applications & it's still less than half full.

DD who is an expert texter isn't very impressed with the onscreen keyboard, but I don't have any problems with it, especially since the software upgrade that allowed you to use it in landscape mode - I often MN on it & posting is easy.

Mine is on Pay & Go - I have a year's free Wifi access, but after December I'll be paying £10 a month - you get access to O2s Edge & Cloud networks, which between them cover most areas - the only exception I've found so far is the western half of my Dad's house inn South Devon!

TheProfiteroleThief Sat 22-Aug-09 20:22:47

I loved mine, but found it was not compatible with our (apple) ipod speakers, car ipod socket etc and returned it. But I did love it

RustyBear Sat 22-Aug-09 20:25:47

Profiterole thief - mine says it's not compatible with the itrip thing, but it actually works just fine - I just say No when it asks if I want to put it in airplane mode & I haven't had any problems. It also seems to work in most of the speaker/hi-fi systems I've tried it in in shops.

bramblebooks Sat 22-Aug-09 21:15:58

I love mine - I have the 32gb 3gs - loving the texting of videos! I'm sure that the 16gb would suffice though.

I watch bbc iplayer stuff on it, you tube, text, email, browse internet, play games ... tis fab.

Housemum Sun 23-Aug-09 12:34:50

I'm getting excited now - sounds like 16Gb would be OK for what I'd need. Any other comments?

PitysSake Sun 23-Aug-09 12:38:33

<shipers>
I want a netbook
nay of you lot got one of those?

BlueKangerooWonders Sun 23-Aug-09 16:18:37

dh is lurking round Walmart right now looking for one - trying to convince himself if he needs one or if it's just another gadget. Guess what he'll decide?!

Podrick Sun 23-Aug-09 20:19:41

I love mine and use the wifi all the time
16GB is fine imo

amazonianwoman Wed 26-Aug-09 12:01:00

Yes, get one, my best purchase all year. Love love love it grin

WebDude Wed 02-Sep-09 18:20:07

Learn something new everyday - thanks RustyBear - did not know they were being offered on PAYG.

I thought their unlimited net access (on contract) would not be a cheap option if used on PAYG, unless you only ever use the internet when in range of wi-fi, so just using the PAYG facility for text and a few voice calls.

For the OP, it'd probably be worth getting a firmer idea (as you will probably want to move your mobile number to <whatever> and to do that, you'll need to get the PAC from your existing network service.

I know it sort of spoils the surprise, but if you want the same number, you will need to ask (and probably pay, and deal with them trying to offer a number of alternative plans, to keep you as a customer)...

nymphadora Wed 02-Sep-09 18:34:30

I love mine!

I use allsorts on it and regularly use it to MN.

I listen to much more music than I did before becaue Itunes has organised it all for me.

Dp is a bit put out cos he has a blackberry and it isn't as easy to use as mine and the Iphone seems to do so much more grin

Corporalcornsilk Wed 02-Sep-09 18:36:36

I have one but don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it hmm

Corporalcornsilk Wed 02-Sep-09 18:37:11

Can I use it as an i-pod? Some bugger nicked mine from my car.

Scorps Wed 02-Sep-09 18:38:06

yes to ipod

Corporalcornsilk Wed 02-Sep-09 18:39:14

Can I strap it to my gym pants though? It's a bit sleek.

WebDude Wed 02-Sep-09 19:20:40

"don't really know what I'm supposed to do with it"

Seems like a great cue for people to post what applications they have downloaded / bought.

Someone was using his for internet radio yesterday when I was in a hi-fi shop.

Corporalcornsilk Wed 02-Sep-09 19:51:01

Where do you get applications from?

nymphadora Wed 02-Sep-09 19:53:54

AppStore button or through iTunes

4andnotout Wed 02-Sep-09 19:55:41

I have the 16gb version and i love it! I have a digital radio app too which is nifty grin

LastTrainToNowhere Fri 04-Sep-09 01:39:21

I don't know what GB my iphone is. I only know I love it and keep fiddling with it all day. I've been known to text dh random stuff simply because I wanted to use the phone grin

I love the keyboard too. It makes internet surfing so much easier. I MN a lot when dd's asleep on one arm, bliss.

Do buy the newer version though because I've heard that the older version tends to get grubby with fingerprints.

clemette Fri 04-Sep-09 05:08:20

It is really good for when you are sitting next to an unsettled child at five in the morning!
My advice: don't pay for apps. There are loads free. The only ones I gave paid for have been toodledo fir a to do list that sync with my laptop and a shape game for DD. Shazam is great. Get the iphne versions of eBay, facebook and amazon for free. Do your Internet banking on it. Get google calendar so you sync with that on your home computer and you always have your diary with you! Using google to search on the iPhone can be voice activated.

It is by far the best piece of technology I have ever owned and I only have the older version. I have ditched my iPod as the phone has a bigger memory and is great for the itrip.
My only proviso would be that it drinks the battery when you use the Internet out of a wifi zone so you need to charge it quite often ( but can do so through the itrip, ir plugged into your laptop etc). The other thing is that they don't come with instruction manuals so download one in advance - you will need it to switch it on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now