Talk

Advanced search

Like a bike - progressing to a bike without stabilisers

(10 Posts)
Turniphead1 Sat 22-Aug-09 15:17:27

Is this a myth? Has your child actually gone from a Like a Bike (or similar balance bike) straight to cycling (Obv with some practice..). If so - is there a brand anyone would recommend of next bike up? My DS is nearly 4 and starting to ourgrow his fab Like a Bike.

Cheers.

peanutbutterkid Sun 23-Aug-09 14:11:35

Lots of MNers swear by them, don't they?
Sorry I can't advise on next size up, although to learn to ride without Stabilisers the bike needs to be extra-small, anyway.
We never had a pedal-less bike.
DC all learnt to ride w/out stab'rs by their 5th birthday (by 4th birthday for DS2). Quite a nuisance, really, makes them too fast to walk with and they're too young to go on the road (well, mostly).

muddleduck Mon 24-Aug-09 14:51:28

ds1 (4) has just gone straight from a balance bike to a proper bike without stabilizers.

We went for a fairly standard raleigh bike - this was a 4th b'day present. The important thing is to ge the height right - I'd advise going into a proper shop so you can see what works best. you can do if from an inside leg measurement, but it's harder to be sure htat you've got the right one. We ended up going for the smallest one they did (12" I think) as he has very little legs.

He's not very well co-ordinated tbh but got the hang of it cery quickly. He's still a bit wobbly when he first starts but I was amazed how easily he got the hand of it.

serinBrightside Tue 25-Aug-09 19:02:14

Can't believe these threads re; like a bikes!
What are you all thinking??
Just take the flippin pedals off their ordinary bikes for a couple of weeks and they will be good to go.
All of my three were cycling without stabilisers before they turned four and none of them had a poncey like a bike.
(goes to make cup of tea to calm down).

bloss Tue 25-Aug-09 19:18:06

Message withdrawn

peanutbutterkid Sat 29-Aug-09 10:08:46

serinBrightside:
Like A bikes are generally a lot lighter to lug when child is too tired to ride it home from park than an ordinary bike, and ideally you want to take the cranks not just pedals off, which not everybody has the tools to do (removing bottom bracket).

So I can understand people getting a proper LAB.

There's no great advantage to early riding without stabilisers; may be bragging point for us parents, but with benefit of experience I really don't mind if mine are 5 or 6 before they do.

MadameCastafiore Sat 29-Aug-09 10:13:53

We just got DS a normal bike for his height - was quite big and heavy but he was fine - he was about 4.5 when he started and did it straight off without any help - he had a like a bike but never ever used it - wanted pedels so he could go really fast.

I would say just get a normal bike that will do him for the next year or so.

MilaMae Sat 29-Aug-09 16:08:38

My twins never had a LB.

They mastered riding without stabilisers after just 2 goes around their 5th bday. Just make sure the saddle is quite low to begin with.

To be frank I wouldn't have wanted mine stabiliser free before 5.

The boys had learnt to slow down when approaching people,the need to ring their bells, not to go too fast and to take corners slowly. They also knew that when coming out of woods they needed to stop for us to check the road was safe to cross.

I couldn't rely on dd 4 to respect any of that-she's a nightmare on stabilisers,god knows what she'd be like without. She's been nagging us to take them off for ages but until she's learnt a few rules we won't be.

I too think LBs are expensive gimics there really is no need for them.

NeedaNewName Sat 05-Sep-09 20:31:17

I loved the LAB but not the price tag so after research (mumsnet!) I bought the Isla Bike Rothan (which was fab) and when DD1 was ready went up to the next stage bike which has also been fab. Great customer service and fab bike

NeedaNewName Sat 05-Sep-09 20:33:14

Actually the other thing that sold me on the whole trainer bike thing was we borrowed a normal bike with stabilisers from the toy library - the damn thing was so heavy she couldn't ride it and I ended up having to push it home - the amount of times the sodding pedalls bashed my ankles, it was heavy and cumbersome, I thought sod that.

So it wasn;t just an expensive gimmick, it was good for DD1 and me!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now