pigleychez Thu 20-Aug-09 13:38:38

recommendations please

Requirements
- Removable tray
- able to sit up close to the table
- Height adjustable
- comfy/secure enough for a 6mth old.

nicm Thu 20-Aug-09 14:16:23

i have a handysitt which has everything but the removable tray! ds loves it. used it from he was about 8/9 months.

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 14:17:34

Tripp Trapp - you can buy a tray on ebay

nigglewiggle Thu 20-Aug-09 14:20:31

I have a Svan meets all of your criteria. It is expensive, but is still going strong after 3 years.

pigleychez Thu 20-Aug-09 14:40:12

I do like the look of the Handysitt but our dining room chairs are high backed and i dont think it would fit on them?
Plus would a 6mth old be ok it?
DD is 12mths so could sit at the table easily but as we are now thinking of n2 then a tray would be best (for BLW).

CMOT- I just did a google for Tripp Trapp and came up with a Utube video of a child tipping themselves backwards it in... Any experience of this. That is exctly the kind of thing that DD would do! hmm

EldonAve Thu 20-Aug-09 14:43:05

I think the tripp trapp is more hazardous on carpet

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 14:44:55

We've had the TT since DS was 6 months, and he is now 3, and he has never tipped it backwards, or has it looked like it was going to. I have heard on it on here though - but I guess that when chairs are up to the table you could do it on any high chair tbh.

Ds uses his TT as a step stool in the kitchen for cooking/washing up etc, and so is climbing on it all the time

We have high backed dining chairs, and the handysitt did not fit.

WhereTheWildThingsWere Thu 20-Aug-09 14:48:58

The best wooden high chairs are......plastic onesgrin, namely this one.

Seriously why not save yourself a whole lot of cleaning and money.

I had a wooden Dan chair for ds and it was such a nightmare to clean I gave it away so I could buy an Antelop, it is a million times better.

Really, get one and spend the rest on something nice for you, you will thank me in a few monthsgrin.

nicm Thu 20-Aug-09 15:18:33

depends how tall the backs are. it fits on ours, my mums and mils chairs. i had a big highchair for ds when he was weaning but put it in the attic at around 8/9 months. could you borrow one or get the cheap ikea one for in between. the handysitt is great. do you have a picture of your kitchen chairs or ones like them?

nicm Thu 20-Aug-09 15:21:03

pigleychez i've just found this on cheekyrascals.co.uk,

will it fit?

'The HandySitt fits a wide range of chairs with a back height between 30-48cm and a back width greater than 34cm. It has been designed to securely attach to round backed, square backed and ladder backed chairs.'

hope this helps.

pigleychez Thu 20-Aug-09 16:37:44

Thanks for that ncim.

Just measured and its 52cm so doesnt look like its gonna fit.

Not really sure what to do really.. DD has a huge M+P thing given to us from friends but its starting to look tatty and the cover is ripped.
Im wondering if I should get DD a booster seat kinda thing or another proper highchair.
We are currently ttc DC2 so will need another highchair anyway so then DD will need to vacate to a booster one anyway. But is she too small for a seat like that yet? Maybe I should just get a new highchair then worry about that when DC2 is 6mths and DD is older.

The annoying thing too is that we have an odd table set up. The chairs are high backed but the seat is actually quite low. Plus the table is quite high! It was bought as a set but from a catalogue so didnt get to try before you buy- Wont be doing that again! I'll have twist DH's arm for a new set!

Sorry im babbling now!

Alibabaandthe40nappies Thu 20-Aug-09 16:50:24

We have an East Coast one that we got from John Lewis. It is fab. Very easy to clean, the tray flips back so that they can come right up to the table. It isn't height adjustable, but DS has been in it from just before 6 months and was fine. Folds very flat so it comes with us when we go away for weekends to places where there isn't a highchair.

CMOTdibbler Thu 20-Aug-09 17:01:45

If you aren't sure what to do, why not get an Ikea Antilop for now. They are 12 quid, plus 3 for the tray, and soo easy to clean. Very roomy, so you can use at the table till DD is 2 or more, or put a tray on for a little one.

That way you can always change your mind later, and not be too out of pocket.

Ikea do do a toddler high up chair thing too, but I haven't personally used it

Scarletibis Thu 20-Aug-09 17:14:06

I got ours through the NCT catalogue - was made by a German company called Geuther, 6yrs later is still in use (minus the tray now) .

sasamaxx Sun 23-Aug-09 10:02:52

Another vote for tripp trapp - have had one for 3 years and it's brilliant.
Have always felt it was extremely sturdy.

(Pretty sure a child could tip any highchair if they tried hard enough but you don't leave them unatended in them anyway)

sasamaxx Sun 23-Aug-09 10:03:27

or 'unattended' even...

SparkyToo Sat 29-Aug-09 19:48:16

Tripp Trapp are just the job - last for years and can't be pulled over.

pasturesnew Sat 29-Aug-09 19:54:12

My friend's baby tipped himself backwards in a Tripp Trapp, his head came forward and bashed the tray and he lost 2 teeth sad but I think if you keep them in a clear area away from pushing opportunities they are safe enough.

DeathbyDora Sat 29-Aug-09 19:58:11

I have a Svan, apart from food tending to drop into the nooks & crannies I love it. I used to put a towel through the back and round my DS as a padded strap so he sat in it from a really early age! He loved being upright and at the table, has a removable tray and he still loves it now!

(He's 2.5!)

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: