Talk

Advanced search

Recommendations for broadband ISP?

(9 Posts)
scarletlilybug Tue 18-Aug-09 20:00:46

Let's start by saying Plusnet is completely rubbish, IME. Pathetically slow and regularly penalised (with an even slower speed) for "excess usage". Given that we don't play games online/watch Youtube/download music or videos, I have no idea how that can be the case. Call centre (in India) can't explain either hmm.

Choices round here are BT, O2, Sky or madasafish. Anyone got any recommendations/ones to avoid? Thanks smile.

Avoid BT, Sky get mixed reviews, don't know about madasafish. O2 consistently get rave reviews.

They are probably your best bet from those 4.

gscrym Tue 18-Aug-09 20:10:55

We haven't had any issues with Sky yet. The only other one we've been with was AOL and they were worse than useless.

scarletlilybug Tue 18-Aug-09 21:46:47

Thanks. I was starting to think O2 might be the best bet, too.

sazm Tue 18-Aug-09 22:47:34

we had aol for 8 yrs no probs (until we moved house and ended up with no internet for 10 weeks)
now with BT,really easy to set up,no probs at all,

sammysamsam Tue 18-Aug-09 23:38:23

my sis was with o2 for a year with endless probs of very s l o w w w internet, or on most days, no connection at all. they kept spouting on about the 'distance from the main box' etc meant a difficult connection. this went on for ages, turns out, they had a dodgy router after several engineers came out to investigate. now have new router, and no probs so far... saying that, im with talk talk- initial nightmare, but fit as a fiddle two years on! i think it's a case of trial and error..pity you get tied into a long contract, mind..

Snorbs Wed 19-Aug-09 00:10:19

I'm surprised you're not happy with PlusNet as I've been with them for ages and have been impressed, as have the other people I've recommended them to. I suppose it may depend on what tariff you were on.

We use a lot of of different comms suppliers at work so from that background I would strongly recommend you avoid BT and don't touch Tiscali even with someone else's bargepole.

Carameli Wed 19-Aug-09 09:13:38

we have been with talktalk for nearly 2yrs now and have had the odd problem with it going slow but then that actually turned out to be our wireless router.
Have found the customer service at talktalk to be brill compared to bt who we were with before this. Very helpful and always tried to help me.

missmelly Wed 19-Aug-09 09:51:40

I'm with O2 and its been great. I get a special price of £9 a month unlimited as I have an O2 phone contract. It's advertised as 20mb but we average 11mb with wireless. Never had any problems at all

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now