Talk

Advanced search

Travel cot , which one best for 18 mth old?

(14 Posts)
LoveBeingAMummy Tue 18-Aug-09 08:09:41

We are going to cornwall and can hire one their but tbh would rather use own.

So which would you recommend?

Which would you stay away from?

Thanks

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Tue 18-Aug-09 20:10:37

They are all pretty much the same - we have two - a M&P one which is great and BabyDan one. The M&P one is marginally less hellish to erect. TBH I would hire one - they are unlikely to be very old - they get trashed after a season's hire - and you can use your own sheets. They are very heavy and cumbersome to get in and out of the car.

SJisontheway Tue 18-Aug-09 20:19:18

One of these? Don't have one but am tempted

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 19-Aug-09 07:43:20

Sj thanks, i like that one but DD would no way sleep in it, she can't even handled the hood on her pushchair being pulled down angry

TheOnly (love your name), Just ahve this feeling that I'll take one look at it and refused to let her sleep in it cause I wouldn't be able to clean it well enough blush

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Wed 19-Aug-09 07:56:14

LoveBeingAMummy - a word about infection control - viruses cannot survive more than a few hours without a host to infect so if you are thinking your child will lick the cot and catch something you are mistaken However you can of course wipe the cot over with Milton or similar and kill everything in any case and as long as the mattress is covered with your own sheet there is no contact with the base.

Fabrics are really crap for transmitting viruses btw and bacteria is a doddle to kill. I am assuming you let her walk round/sit on sofas in strange places? I can assure you that most carpets are filthy and as for doors etc......

Also, when you get a travel cot, it's been in storage for a while and has been assembled several times for testing so it's not untouched by human hands anyway.

Be calm, all will be well.

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 19-Aug-09 08:25:53

grin

I guess you are right and not much worse than the fish pellet she decided to put in her mouth on sunday.

What about, wee, poo and puke?

PLus what if its got a really crap hard mattres?

Umlellala Wed 19-Aug-09 09:17:04

a ready bed?

You can get cheaper than that one though

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Wed 19-Aug-09 10:34:53

It will have a really crap mattress - they always do. Even the top of the range ones have crap mattresses. I always take blanket to fold and put under the sheet myself.

Northerngirldownsouth Wed 19-Aug-09 10:48:57

You can buy travel cot mattresses from mothercare etc, they are a bit PFB but do make it quite a bit more comfortable and would remover your worry about previous users of the cot.

Much easier to transport than a whole cot!

LoveBeingAMummy Wed 19-Aug-09 10:49:42

umlellala - thanks for that however shes really not ready for a bed, especially in a strange place.

theonly - i'm gonna have to accept that you're right aren't I??? wink

Umlellala Wed 19-Aug-09 11:29:48

lol, that's what I always say about travel cots! grin (as dd and ds always just slept in the bed - though ds went in a friend's cot for the first time a week ago)

Travel cots in hotels etc always been v clean IME though...

TheOnlyDailyMaleForMeisDH Wed 19-Aug-09 14:40:36

Actually because they only last a year at most travel cots in hotels tend to be much cleaner than parent's ones that are shoved in lofts/under dusty beds for most of the year.

SweetApril Wed 19-Aug-09 15:26:52

TheOnly is right wink We have a bog-standard Graco travel cot which lives at GPs. Just got it cheap from an NCT sale. You often see them in charity shops for a fiver or tenner. I definitely wouldn't buy a new one for one holiday for an 18-month-old. The mattresses are a bit thin and hard but we always put a blanket under too.

I've hired a good few cots too, travel and otherwise, and all have been fine, with the possible exception of a very strange contraption we once hired in a Greece. It was sort of sloping, a bit broken probably, but DD slept fine in it! If you're worried about mattress hygiene you can always put two sheets on.

LoveBeingAMummy Thu 20-Aug-09 06:47:33

Its not a hotel we are staying in, would probably not worry so much if it were, we are renting a cottage in cornwall.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now