Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Boring question about fridges and freezers...

(14 Posts)
FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 21:43:01

My fridge-freezer is kaput. Need a new one, but can't get excited about looking.

PLEASE tell me what you have and help me decide. Fridge-freezer or seperate appliances, or one of those big american jobbies? Do we need an ice-dispenser or will the novelty wear off after 3 seconds?

Any colour as long as it's black...or possibly pale blue...or anything a bit funky.

ZZZzzzzz

Sidge Mon 17-Aug-09 22:03:33

We have a big American-style jobbie (Samsung with filtered chilled water and ice maker) and to be honest it's fab. I love the water dispenser and even though we don't use the ice much it's nice that it's there, especially in the summer.

There are 5 of us and it's great having a fridge big enough to fit loads in. I'm also a right shortarse so having the fridge and freezer side by side means that I don't have problems reaching stuff at the top of the fridge!

The downside is that the freezer compartment isn't huge, especially as the ice maker takes up some space, but we have another chest freezer for bulky items.

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 22:24:23

Thanks Sidge. Does the water bit need cleaning every so often? DH and DC got excited about iced water but I'm not convinced. Think I'd have to re-arrange the layout to plumb it in.

Sidge Mon 17-Aug-09 22:28:50

Not much cleaning needed - I clean the drip tray regularly (bung it in the dishwasher) as it gets sticky with juice splashes.

The filter needs changing every 6 months or so, I buy them online for around £12. DH has shown me how to change it, it's very straightforward.

We have ours down the end of our kitchen near the cupboard where the boiler and water pipes are so he just ran another pipe off and into the fridge. We use the water dispenser A LOT, especially as our local water supply is so hard.

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 22:36:36

Ah, I am getting more interested now. What I really need is a new kitchen to go with my new fridge.

indulging in some fridge fantasy now - how about this!

TeamEdward Mon 17-Aug-09 22:40:03

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 22:43:31

LOL. We have a old fridge out the back for drinks (and packed lunches). I could make-over my entire kitchen for the cost of that fridge!

Sidge Mon 17-Aug-09 22:46:51

Oooh now that's a fridge!

Ours is more like this one but an older model and not black.

I want one with a wine cooler now. I have fridge envy!

FritesMenthe Mon 17-Aug-09 22:51:59

That black one looks good.

you ain't seen nothing yet Nigella's fridge!

FritesMenthe Tue 18-Aug-09 10:55:38

Bumping for more fridge & freezer inspiration. What have you got & why?

Firawla Thu 20-Aug-09 22:35:55

Just make sure its frost free freezer, we rent inc appliances & have moved into a place which does not have a frost free one, it is a real pita!!

Ponders Thu 20-Aug-09 22:53:00

We have a big American-style one without the ice dispenser (plumbing it in would have been a PITA, plus they take up a lot of your freezer space)

Ours is an LG stainless steel one, v functional but a super bargain price & it's so massive, it makes me smile every time I open either of the doors (saddo grin)

will look for link

Ponders Thu 20-Aug-09 22:55:37

Ours is like this one although I think the model number is different.

Anyway it is fab

Ponders Thu 20-Aug-09 23:04:04

(ours was £500 with free delivery - may have been discontinued)

Anyway LG do a nice funky black one too with ice dispenser etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now