Talk

Advanced search

Moby D Wrap suitable for toddler???

(6 Posts)
Paranoid1stTimer Sun 16-Aug-09 23:58:48

OK.... My LO will be 18 months in a few weeks when we are heading off on holiday and we have long haul flight to deal with. He loves being carried when he is sleepy n will fall asleep on the move as long as he is carried. Being in the buggy seems to be too visually stimulating for him - especially in holiday mode.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, he is very tall for his age and quite hard to carry for lengths of time and the hip seat belt thingy was too painful for me to use.

I am just wondering if it is really honestly true that you can use a Moby D wrap (I have been told Moby normal wrap not supportive enough for 18 month old of his size) for this age group???

Thanks for your advice on this one

MoominMymbleandMy Mon 17-Aug-09 00:23:57

You might do better to post this one in the new sling topic.

I don't claim to be a wrap expert but I would be surprised if a stretchy wrap was still comfortable with an 18-month-old.

If you want a wrap there are plenty of woven wraps that will be supportive for a toddler.

I like mei tais and soft structured carriers with my 22-month-old and there are plenty of good makes.

Do you mean the Hippychick hip seat? I've never tried it but I can't say I thought it looked very appealing simply because you'll always need to support the child with one hand.

omgidbi Mon 17-Aug-09 09:38:58

I love Mobys and have used both the original and the Moby D when mine were smaller but moved on to the Ergo at about a year old. I think the Moby D would probably be ok at a push but it's not what I'd choose. Also I think a wrap of any kind is probably not a great idea for a long haul flight where space is limited and you'll want to be able to get them in/out quickly and easily, I'd do for something like an Ergo Carrier or Connecta Baby Carrier.

Paranoid1stTimer Mon 17-Aug-09 10:17:11

Thanks. Sorry - didnt notice the sling topic.
It is just hard to find a sling for a toddler and I don't want to get a backpack thingy.

The Ergo Carrier looks great.

CMOTdibbler Mon 17-Aug-09 10:23:53

For a tall 18 month old, I wouldn't recommend an Ergo - mine was far too short in the body for DS, especially when asleep, by that age. You'd be better off with a toddler sized carrier - either something like a Toddlerhawk, or a toddler Patapum if you like clips.

If you go onto the www.naturalmamas.co.uk For Sale or Trade forum, there are several people with different toddler sized carriers for sale secondhand at the moment.

FWIW, I carry my large 3 year old, and have a Toddlerhawk, a toddler sized TaiTasi, and a toddler sized DreamCarrier wrap conversion - all are very comfortable and DS still sleeps in them

mimsum Mon 17-Aug-09 19:21:12

dd was an extremely tall toddler (still is!) and the ergo was absolutely fantastic - I got it when she was 8 months old and was still using it past 3 on occasions

I wouldn't have thought a stretchy wrap would be supportive enough at that age - the other thing with both wraps and mai tais is do you really want to be faffing around with long straps on a plane?

another option would be something like a scootababy hip carrier - easy to get on and off and you might both find it easier carrying him on your hip rather than getting to grips with a back carry - at that age the ergo and other soft structured carriers are not great on the front and do a frankly useless hip carry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now