Talk

Advanced search

Playmobile - boring storage question!

(15 Posts)
OllieWollieWoo Tue 11-Aug-09 15:45:55

How do you store your Playmobile? DS has just been given the fab take along castle and we are already loosing all the bits and pieces around the house!
Do you have a good way of storing it? Wondered whether to use a box with all the bits thrown it or do you keep the different sets apart and store by just throwing in the people/bits into the castle for example???

DLI Tue 11-Aug-09 20:09:09

we keep our ds's in a basket (one of those with a material lining). All the little bits go in the bottom and the vehicles and other larger items go on top.

movingnow Tue 11-Aug-09 20:22:59

Bought a tool box (lots of storage sections) and painfully divided up eg shields, helmets etc. It was not long before the whole lot got thrown in together (same with lego) and DS is quite happy. grin

CybilLiberty Tue 11-Aug-09 20:27:54

I bought a great storage case from IKEA, it's like a flat suitcase, so it's not too deep . Ds can rummage for the bits he needs (rummaging is very important when you are 8)

We have gladiator stuff, pirate stuff, knights and castle stuff all thrown in togther.

I once spent a happy evening sorting lances, shields and the like but twas in vain.

IlanaK Tue 11-Aug-09 20:34:13

We keep our sets seperate as we have quite a lot of them. I use one of those Ikea storage units with trays. Different sets in different trays.

costagirl Tue 11-Aug-09 20:44:11

Er, yes, I have spent many a morning anally sorting different sets into their boxes and putting post-its on, telling me what was missing. I need to get out more, and have now decided to put the whole sodding lot in a stacker box, and chuck the Playmobil boxes in the roof in case I ever sell it!

MaybeAfterBreakfast Wed 12-Aug-09 12:19:31

OUrs is in one of those huge clear plastic boxes with wheels. Does mean all the diffeent types get mixed up together though.

choufleur Wed 12-Aug-09 12:22:33

we have one big box and then smaller boxes that fit inside it. i'm quite anal about storage though and regularly make surethat the right things are together

FritesMenthe Wed 12-Aug-09 12:44:51

I believe the technical term for our storage is 'Playmobil Soup'.

I did sort ours into their boxes a while back, but everything is out again, strewn across the floor and in ikea trofast boxes.

An interesting variation developed yesterday when all the boats ended up in the pool with the DC, who then spent an interesting half-hour retrieving plastic coal from the pool bottom and the lawn.

jicky Fri 14-Aug-09 18:50:48

We have huge amounts of playmobil as dc inherited lots and always spend all birthday/xmas money on it.

We have one double and one single Ikea Pax wardrobe with Komplement slide out boxes and some shelves for the castles etc.

We do a major sort out every six months or so and get all the bits back together. For a while they play with the Romans or Pirates or Farm bits and put them away. Then the guinea pigs hijack the plane and crash land on the island and are ambushed by cowboys and it all goes in together!

clayre Fri 14-Aug-09 18:58:32

Ds playmobil is all mixed in one box, i tried sorting it all out and before i knew it bin men were flying the plane the police were the bin man the vet was working undercover for the police, i just gave up sorting out

squilly Fri 14-Aug-09 19:05:40

I'm a new convert to Playmobil and we have already acquired a lot of different sets, new and second hand. We mix and match. We've got castle,fairy garden, pirates (?), Robin Hood and a playground. It's all kept in a large red plastic storage box. DD sorts it as she plays with it, but we always end up with lots of bits at the bottom of the box (feathers, cap seeves, and such..). So we don't sort it very effectively but as long as it's all in one place, we're happy.

SparkyToo Sat 29-Aug-09 19:52:31

I use big plastic stackable boxes and keep each set together - ie hospital, castle etc

Mybox Sat 29-Aug-09 19:58:15

All in one box with the house, ship and other large items on a shelf or cupboard.

NorbertDentressangle Sat 29-Aug-09 20:03:39

We have a big storage box with a lid for the larger pieces like helicopter, cars, portacabin etc and a plastic Celebrations tub (modern day equivalent of a Quality Street tin!) with the people and millions of bits and pieces like phones, guns, animals etc.

We also have the pirate chest, castle and crane which are just too big to put away and store anywhere.

I did intend to try and keep it vaguely in the sets eg. workmen together in the Portcabin, soldiers all together etc but that just won't work as the DC play with it all together. For example today the castle has been a holiday home for a family- the coffee machine from the Portacabin has been installed alongside the open fire from the pirate set to make a kitchen, the stretcher from the air ambulance is one of the beds upsatirs in the castle bedroom etc

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now