Talk

Advanced search

Anyone looking for WATERPROOFS? Tchibo are doing them soon and a dogwalking/schoolrun parka too

(28 Posts)
MmeLindt Tue 11-Aug-09 10:46:11

Just ordered some waterproofs from the German/Swiss website. As far as I can see, the UK website is just a week behind the EU website so the same items should be on offer next week in UK.

German website

UK website

midnightexpress Tue 11-Aug-09 10:51:32

Oh thank you - that looks just the sort of thing we need for ds1.

MmeLindt Tue 11-Aug-09 10:53:46

I always bought them when we lived in Germany and the DC were in Kindergarten. The zips are sometimes a bit dodgy but they are good value for money.

LIZS Tue 11-Aug-09 10:53:46

Ta, will check tomorrow (UK site updates on Wednesdays) dd had the red/pink thermal lined rain jacket last year (cost about £7 reduced iirc) and it has been really good.

ShauntheSheep Tue 11-Aug-09 11:01:48

brilliant will have a look tomorrow as dd has probably outgrown her rain trousers

MmeLindt Tue 11-Aug-09 14:21:34

MmeLindt Tue 11-Aug-09 22:07:02

bump for the evening crowd

LIZS Wed 12-Aug-09 10:38:40

here, in store next week.

Spottydog Wed 12-Aug-09 10:45:18

Does anyone know why the Uk delivery charge has gone up to £12.95?

Washersaurus Wed 12-Aug-09 11:09:45

That is an outrageous delivery charge! shock

littleducks Wed 12-Aug-09 11:17:04

oh bugger, i wanted this but they arent selling this here due to language i expect

LIZS Wed 12-Aug-09 11:17:12

I assume they distribute centrally form Germany but that is a lot.

CoffeeCrazedMama Wed 12-Aug-09 11:20:50

Mme Lindt thanks so much for posting this - I miss the Tchibo shops so much since they closed in the uk <sad loser emoticon>. Had no idea they were still here on-line.

On holiday in CH earlier this month I wafted around Tchibo in a nostalgic swoon blush.

LIZS Wed 12-Aug-09 11:28:05

We still have a Tchibo shop but rumour has it they are pulling out at the end of the lease.

CoffeeCrazedMama Wed 12-Aug-09 11:31:46

Oh dear - just realised p&p to UK is £12.95!!! Tchibo fixes will have to wait for trips to CH after all. sad

stealthsquiggle Wed 12-Aug-09 11:37:07

Good God. I was all set - DS needs new overtrousers for school and DD could do with some too - but the delivery charge is £12.95 shock - by the time you add that on I can go get them from Millets for less, even including parking.

How much of the range makes it into the Tchibo bits in Sainsburys?

MmeLindt Wed 12-Aug-09 11:56:26

oh, that is very expensive. I suspect that the high charge is due in part to the weak pound. Still, they are not likely to sell much at that price.

Washersaurus Wed 12-Aug-09 12:13:33

I thought the waterproofs were good value before I saw the delivery charge. I will stick to TKMaxx I think.

MmeLindt Wed 12-Aug-09 12:15:30

Maybe we should all email Tschibo, a mass of emails from MN might make them change the delivery charge

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 12:18:23

Togz and muddypuddles - not as cheap but lower delivery charge

stealthsquiggle Wed 12-Aug-09 13:58:32

which would you recommend MrsB? We have had MuddyPuddles in the past and they seem fairly indestructible but I haven't tried Togz. I am slightly reluctant to get DS Peter Storm ones again as the last pair were destroyed in one term.

JackieNo Wed 12-Aug-09 14:00:26

Yes - I was shock at the price of delivery - didn't used to be that high. I was all set to get DS's winter coat this week, but the postage would have almost doubled the cost of the order, so I emailed them to complain. Ridiculous.

MrsBadger Wed 12-Aug-09 14:19:07

to my shame I have tried neither - as it happens dd's are all vintage Tchibo as we stocked up when I heard they were pulling out of the UK...

Muddy Puddles have an excellent rep, but Togz were recommended on here as being a cheaper alternative but still decent quality, but from what I can see the prices are much of a muchness.

Ignore Regatta and Peter Storm, particularly for trousers that get a rough deal round the bottom and knees

JackieNo Wed 12-Aug-09 16:24:28

Well I've had a reply from Tchibo explaining why they've put their delivery prices up - v long, but I'll post it, in case anyone's interested...hmm. So here goes:

Dear Mrs No,

Thank you very much for your email.

We must apologise for the displeasure we caused you by increasing the postage and handling fees for deliveries to the UK and we would like to take this opportunity to inform you about the background regarding this decision:

A fundamental criterion for this decision was the large increase in diesel prices. This resulted in a considerable increase in our logistics costs.

Unfortunately, we have also recorded a large drop in orders in the UK during the past months, which has led to an increase in the variable costs per order.

Thus, in order to be able to continue to offer our UK customers the possibility to purchase high-quality and innovative Tchibo products in the future, we unfortunately had to pass on part of the increased costs involved to our customers. We decided to increase the postage and handling fees as it was not our wish to have to increase the actual product prices.

However, having said that, ordering online does have certain benefits :

Price for postage and packaging is always 12,95 GBP when ordering either 1 or 100 items. This fee is necessary to be able to deliver the items to your doorstep.

You are always entitled to send any or all items back if you are not satisfied with your purchase and you will receive a full refund. You can do so using the returns label included in the package and this is free of charge. Items under warranty and out of warranty are can be returned free of charge if they need to be repaired, replaced or refunded. Technical Tchibo articles have a 3 year warranty.

Furthermore, as all items are shipped from Germany, we cannot offer free deliveries like other companies.

Some United Kingdom based companies may offer very cheap or free deliveries to the United Kingdom, however they charge more than EUR 3.00 /item for countries outside of the United Kingdom. A German customer, for example, who orders 5 small items from a company may pay up to EUR 20.00 for postage and packaging.

The increase in price of postage and packaging was necessary for Tchibo to be able to continue to guarantee good value for money. A good idea would be to consolidate an order together with friends and relatives in order to be able to split the postage fee.

We hope you understand the reasons for the postage and packaging fee and hope you will continue to place your confidence in our company and products.

Should you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact us.

We look forward to welcoming you to tchibo.eu again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Your tchibo.eu-team

MmeLindt Wed 12-Aug-09 17:08:04

Jackie
I emailed them too and had a similar reply, but without the mention of a German customer ordering and paying 20eu for an online delivery. It is possible that there are companies that charge that for online deliveries, but unusual. I ordered from the Swiss website and only got charged 5.90chf (about £3)

Today I ordered some goods from a German online shop (Pet supplies) and they are posting them for 13eu which I find acceptable.

Shame, I guess that Tchibo will see a further decline in orders from UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now