Talk

Advanced search

HELP! 20mnth old escaping from 5 point harness in car seat!!!

(18 Posts)
DanJARMouse Sun 09-Aug-09 22:26:55

Someone PLEASE help me. DS is 20mnths and has worked out how to escape from his 5pnt harness in his carseat (and his pushchair for that matter)

We have got the harness as tight as we can get it, but he still managed to wriggle his arms out and manouver (sp?) himself to standing.

We are going on holiday on friday which is going to involve 2 days in the car.... HELP!!!!

sweetkitty Sun 09-Aug-09 22:43:27

Don't have a clue no of mine have ever done this, someone else must have had this problem. Sorry

CarGirl Sun 09-Aug-09 22:45:03

you can get isofix car seats that use a restraint cushion instead of a 5 point harness.

DanJARMouse Sun 09-Aug-09 22:45:14

thanks sk xx (FB works!)

CarGirl Sun 09-Aug-09 22:46:07

here is a BMW one

cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-ISOFIX-child-junior-car-seat_W0QQitemZ180395295671QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Baby_CarS eats_EH?hash=item2a0065c3b7&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

but I think you can get other ones too.

sweetkitty Sun 09-Aug-09 22:47:17

I was going to suggest duct tape wink

DanJARMouse Sun 09-Aug-09 22:49:19

thanks cargirl

SK - probably the only way with that boy - he is proving to be a monster!

pigleychez Sun 09-Aug-09 22:55:12

We have just bought this for DD as shes just out grown the baby carrier seat.

I did alot of research and it gets good safety reviews.

differentID Sun 09-Aug-09 22:59:39

Are the straps at the right height level for him? Too low or too high gives wriggle room.

DanJARMouse Sun 09-Aug-09 23:03:05

different id - thanks for that - will double check tomorrow.

really dont want to go down the route of a new car seat, this one is only a few months old.

He is just soooooo scary right now!

pigleychez Mon 10-Aug-09 12:50:14

this thread may help you.

Someone else with a similar problem.

saltcod Mon 10-Aug-09 19:51:57

DJM, had same problem with DS & someone suggested straps might be at wrong height. Adjusted them to a notch higher & this did the trick (the top strap should be just above or on shoulder level). Hopefully this will work for you too

Thinkthinkthink Mon 10-Aug-09 21:08:02

My dd does this and I haven't been able to find a solution. Pigleychez - the impact cushion looks quite bulky - is your DD comfortable in her seat?

pigleychez Mon 10-Aug-09 21:49:49

Think- Yeah shes perfectly comfortable.
Easily dozes off in it too. Shes a slim thing too (19lbs) and is perfectly secure in it.

Only had it a few weeks but shes already learnt to lift her arms up ready when she sits in the seat.. Shes only 12mths.

Thinkthinkthink Mon 10-Aug-09 22:13:47

Thanks pigleychez - seriously considering the Kiddy Comfort Pro Stage 123 which is suitable to age 12 so thanks very much for your recommendation.

pigleychez Mon 10-Aug-09 22:31:24

Think- We got ours from Olivers baby care webiste and it was delivered the next day.

TamTam29 Wed 12-Aug-09 17:45:22

out of desperation we use one of his old buggy toys the ones with plastic strap that you link through- we attach it through both straps so he cant wriggle his arms out.

Lizzzombie Wed 12-Aug-09 17:51:46

I've had this problem for the past week.
I borrowed a Maxi Cosi Tobi off a friend and my 2 year old can easily get his hands out of the harness. Which he did twice when I was driving at speed along the motorway - truly terrifying.

I heard that manufacturers recommend disciplining your child as a way of getting them not to do it. hmm and I guess after him doing it once more, and me going ballistic at him he has not done it again. But (I work in Mothercare) when customers come in with this problem I recommend them getting a normal walking/highchair harness, and doing it up back to front over the top of the 5-point harness. Its quite fiddly for a small child to be able to undo it, and it keeps the straps closer together, so its harder for them to get their arms out of. Plus, if something awful happens, then the accident response team can still easily slip a knife through the harness to get the child out quickly.

Its a scarey problem, and whilst not common, I'd say I've had about 5 people in the last year who have had this happen to them. (+ me too!) HTH good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now