Talk

Advanced search

What was *THE* most useful product/gift you received for your newborn?

(31 Posts)
Tinker Wed 25-May-05 15:10:44

Very kind sil is insisting on buying a present for the new baby. Trouble is, we have virtually everything (mostly because she has lent it to us) So, I don't can't think of anything we "need" except one or two things which I think are too expensive to request.

Anyone have any suggestions for anything beyond the obvious? I know she wants to buy a baby swing but space is lacking and they look like they take up a lot of room. We did wonder on just some champagne but that been dismissed.

Anyone?

Thanks

popsycal Wed 25-May-05 15:11:40

wine and microwave meals

girlpants Wed 25-May-05 15:13:45

on-line shopping delivered, including nappies and ready meals.

Lizzylou Wed 25-May-05 15:14:04

My SIL bought me a bottle of Bollinger! Not something I quaff with any regularity....OK, never! But v much appreciated!

Mum2girls Wed 25-May-05 15:15:01

Baby sleep bag (bought it myself actually for DD2 - they're brill)

Donbean Wed 25-May-05 15:17:14

OMG say YES to the baby swing....do it now!!!!! It was my sanity/life/marriage saver! By far THE best thing any one gave us....A GIFT FROM GOD!
Another 3 babies have been in it since and every parent has said the same thing.....DO IT...you dont need space you need hands free to do things like shower occassionally, make a cuppa once a week and drink it hot....get it...

Lizzylou Wed 25-May-05 15:18:06

The play nest I was lent was an absolute lifesaver for me, DS loved it and it was fab for him before and after he could sit up unaided....

popsycal Wed 25-May-05 15:18:20

baby gym

elsmommy Wed 25-May-05 15:18:23

One of these

expatinscotland Wed 25-May-05 15:19:36

Go for the swing! Oh, what a LIFESAVER! In a pinch, I'd put DD in her swing, switch on the hoover, and get a few moments to catch up with things.

Flum Wed 25-May-05 15:24:21

Swing chair - yesss - bought it though

and baby nightdress (elasticated at the bottom, much easier to put a newborn in and out of than a baby gro.

sweetheart Wed 25-May-05 15:35:05

well I know it's not a product - but I recently brought a friend one of

these

I also brought one for myself too.

They can be personalized and are lovely to keep things like cards, flower tags, hospital tags etc etc in.

I keep all special mementoes in there including a paper from the day the baby was born.

It's not too expensive but it's something you can keep and treasure for life.

Chuffed Wed 25-May-05 16:26:36

what about some really classic books that can be read at bed time when baby is older. We got given money from a great aunt and we bought a big hard cover 'classic disney stories' book.
I remember treasuring the book I got like that and still have mine.

WigWamBam Wed 25-May-05 16:28:58

Go for the baby swing ... honestly, ours was a life-saver. Sometimes it was the only way to stop dd screaming, and it can get you a precious half an hour to yourself.

hunkermunker Wed 25-May-05 16:32:58

DS hated his swing (fortunately a hand-me-down from a friend) so it went to the in-laws for occasional use by him and other babies.

But he LOVED his bouncer with toy bar from Mothercare. Takes up far less space too (is currently folded up under the bed in the nursery. Get the one with the washable cover though...

Newbarnsleygirl Wed 25-May-05 16:32:58

Nappies (we under estimated how many a newborn actually goes through!)

Nappy bin (still have it and dd is 19 months)

We didn't have one, but I would agree with everyone who says get the swing. That would be the first thing I will buy when we have no.2.

fruitful Wed 25-May-05 16:42:14

swings that don't take up much space

Carameli Wed 25-May-05 17:03:20

ANother vote for the swing, they are great. My dd got obsessed with watching the bears that went around in the mobile that came with it. They were so so great.

JJmumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 25-May-05 17:09:32

We just last week finished all our reviews - including the best gifts for a newborn which you might find useful.

And these are excellent suggestions - if you guys have a moment, the review form for these gifts is here ...

Chandra Wed 25-May-05 17:15:40

A grobag, no doubt.

Though I also loved the gesture of some friends that invited themselves for diner (they told us they will bring the food), and once home told us that they were babysitting so we could go out... priceless!

Mo2 Wed 25-May-05 17:34:35

Deffo a swing, or a Graco Rocking entertainer thing.....

norash Wed 25-May-05 17:46:25

I vote for the swing too, I almost went insane today as mine had run out of batteries and my son would not settle all day.
As soon as I got the batteries and put him in he fell asleep, at last sanity restored

bonym Wed 25-May-05 18:19:12

For a cheap gift yoiu can't beat this mobile . Our dd2 (9 weeks) has this hanging above her changing mat and is completely in love with it . If shw ever gets grouchy we just lie her beneath it and she calms instantly -she's absolutely fascinated.

csa Wed 25-May-05 20:30:29

thanks bonym. have been looking for something just like this for the last few months. will order tomorrow!

stringbean Wed 25-May-05 20:36:42

4 months of nappy laundry service was a great gift from my brother and SIL when we had dd; they felt we already had everything from when we had ds, and they wanted to give us a break from the washing for a little while. Another friend gave me a baby sleeping bag (Grobag) for dd and it's brilliant - hadn't used them for ds but was so impressed, I went out and bought another.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: