Talk

Advanced search

find me a car seat please... here are my requirements

(10 Posts)
OnlyWantsOne Fri 07-Aug-09 17:14:15

DD is 3 in October.

She is very tall IMO - at 3ft 3 and weighing 2 1/2 stone bless her.

Any hoo she is currently in a maxi cosi tobi, and she's growing out of it height wise rapidly, I cant put the straps any higher and she has started to complain that it is uncomfortable.

I do not want to put her in a seat that uses the adult belt as she can un do them - and i have seen crash test videos. She is too skinny for them.

So, I need a car seat with a 5 point harness for a child of her height and taller. Also, it must fit in my mini....

Fankoo

PS i have looked, and have hit a mental wall about talking to the div at my local baby shop

lou031205 Fri 07-Aug-09 17:27:32

You won't find one other than a SN that is £500.

LynetteScavo Fri 07-Aug-09 17:30:55

Right...I saw something on youtube about a parents who put thier 6yo in a 5 point harness....will try and check for you. they were american. I'm pretty sure Britax do a SN one.....

lou031205 Fri 07-Aug-09 17:31:59

Standard car seats only have 5 point harness to 18 kg (39.6 lbs - 2 stone 12lbs). Even group 2/3 car seats require that when the child reaches 18kg the 5 point harness is removed and an adult belt used.

lou031205 Fri 07-Aug-09 17:32:58

Yeah, the SN one is Britax Traveller and is £499.97

anchovies Fri 07-Aug-09 17:33:41

Maybe some ideas on this thread?

Sidge Fri 07-Aug-09 17:37:51

We have a Britax Junior Traveller which goes up to 25 kgs and has a 5 point harness. My DD2 is in it and she is 113 cms and has plenty of room in it.

moshie Fri 07-Aug-09 17:41:49

I bought a britax elite last year, which has straps suitable to 25kg, but have only seen it sold as a two way elite since - here

squashedfrogs Fri 07-Aug-09 18:06:47

We've just bought a two-way elite for DP's similar aged DD, she's also tall for her age. She hasn't had a chance to try it out yet but the women at Essex CC's car seat Try before you buy thing reckon it can be used for children up to 5 or 6 and although it's rear facing, it can be turned round to be front facing. In relation to the height issue, they said that the key thing is the child's back length (and this is a seat suitable for a tall child) rather than leg length.

The fact that it can be used for (hopefully) a few years and is rear facing were the clinchers for us when making the decision.

It might be worth ringing the incarsafety place in Milton Keynes for info as they do seem to be really clued up. Also I don't know what help you can get from Essex if you aren't local but it might be worth seeing if they can give some advice over the phone.

nicm Fri 07-Aug-09 20:50:36

the britax twe has 5 point harness to 25kgs. from in car safety centre

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now