Talk

Advanced search

Buying a used car

(10 Posts)
FreddoBaggyMac Fri 07-Aug-09 12:13:01

I apologise first of all for posting this in what is probably the wrong section - but I can't find a more appropriate place!

I was just wondering if anyone knows a good online used car database? I'm using autotrader and ebay but neither have what I want. Ideally I'd like to be able to give my details to some kind of 'cars wanted' place - does anyone know of such a thing?

I'm looking to buy a citroen C8/ Peugeot 807/ Fiat Ulysse with an 03/04/05 reg, mileage preferably under 60k, for £4000 - £6000. Ideally from somewhere around the Newcastle area.

Autotrader/ ebay have nothing near by and by the time we have a chance to look at them they're sold as these kinds of cars are going really quickly. I'd like to let potential private sellers know what we're looking for in the hope that one might contact me without having to go through a garage (saving money for both of us!)

Any ideas????

Many thanks!

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 12:19:07

I'm looking for a people carrier too and I can tell you even down here in Surrey they are selling very quickly for higer than book prices, it's a nightmare.

I think you're budget may be unrealistic!

No idea how you put a wanted ad up anywhere though. Ring around the local dealers leave them your name and number and ring every 2/3 days so they know you're still interested?

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 07-Aug-09 12:42:33

Thanks CarGirl - I know they are selling very quickly aren't they?

There are things out there within our budget but they just sell REALLY quickly - the best bargain I've seen on autotrader is a 2005 citroen C8 with around 60,000 for £4250!! The man was only selling it from today and apparently he's had about 16 phone calls, many of them people willing to turn up today with the cash... we don't have a chance of getting there first as it's 100 miles away sad

There are lots around for £5-6k (although they go very quickly)but obviously I'd like to get the best bargain grin

I was really hoping there'd be some kind of cars wanted database out there somewhere - it would make a lot of sense (the autotrader website is rubbish!!)

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 12:44:10

just make sure if it's a bargain it got a deceng FSH and a legit MOT..........

sorry I don't know much about cars despite my username!

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 07-Aug-09 12:50:45

I don't either cargirl - wish I did! You know more than me - I haven't any idea what a FSH is!!! grin

I'd really like to get the one we buy checked out by the RAC, but it takes at least three days for them to organise it all and the cars are selling so quickly that by the time we book and pay for the inspection the car will have probably sold...

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 12:53:48

Full Service History, you also need a HPI check which tells you if there is any outstanding finance on it, whether they are the actual owner - not reported stolen and whether it has been written off in an accident......

Anyone legit would let you put down a deposit I should think?

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 07-Aug-09 13:02:47

Yes I think a deposit is what we might aim for. However I'd realy like to buy from a private seller as the price would usually be less than a garage - and if there's someone offering to give them the cash straight off compared with someone who wants to give a deposit and wait three days for an RAC check they're likely to sell the car to the former I think sad

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 13:11:42

yes but if you get ripped off then that is a few thousand pounds you've lost with no come back.

All the dealers I've spoken too (there have been many over the past month!) that have answered my questions have all said the same thing there is little around for them to buy so too many dealers trying to buy 2nd hand cars to sell on so all the prices have gone up, their profit margins are being squeezed.

It is a very stressful nightmare tbh and dh shows no interest meanwhile our espace is on it's last legs......

FreddoBaggyMac Fri 07-Aug-09 13:25:36

Our espace's legs fell off long ago...

Good luck with your search cargirl! We've got one in mind which might be OK, top end of our budget and only 03 reg, but decent mileage and only one previous owner (who according to the garage was a reverand!!) - 90 miles away though... Hope they give us a good part exchange deal for our legless espace!

CarGirl Fri 07-Aug-09 13:32:45

it may be worth it just because you get a 3 months warranty and get someone else to look at it for you before the warranty expires!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now