Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone have an Amby Natures Nest Hammock - is it good or a gimmick?

(14 Posts)
timmette Wed 05-Aug-09 19:20:29

Hi everyone am expecting number 2 and ds had relux and was a bit scared in his big cot from birth so was either going to get a moses basket or this baby hammock. Has anyone had one - any opinions welcome.
Many thanks

PortAndLemon Wed 05-Aug-09 19:24:43

I really liked it. We semi-coslept but once she was mobile DD went down in the Amby Hammock for the night. It seemed really cosy and I think the bouncing definitely helped her. She did grow out of it (as in grew to the point where she could get out of it) by the time she was 10 months, though.

raindroprhyme Wed 05-Aug-09 19:25:01

i am getting a moffi hammock more as don't have sapce for a carrycot in my bed room so super space saving have it hanging from the ceiling. no idea if it will be good or not but baba to be is not getting a choice.

timmette Wed 05-Aug-09 19:35:00

Well I don't mind if he grows out of it by then Port and Lemon I already have ds1 cot but just need something for the first few months. Did you find it difficult moving your dd to a cot when she grew out of it?

Lovage Wed 05-Aug-09 21:19:25

DS2 still sleeps in one (now 9 months and getting a bit squashed/mobile). He is a terrible sleeper, but I think he'd probably be worse in a cot. On a good day he seems to cuddle down into it and the bouncing and the snuggliness help him settle himself to sleep. On a bad day I still end up bfing him to sleep...

One good thing we hadn't thought of is that you can take it with you when you go away - doesn't take up much more space packed away than an ordinary travel cot, and I'm sure sleeping in a familiar setting is the reason his away-from-home sleep is better than DS1's was.

I'm dreading the transition to the cot though. But I'm in a better state to deal with it now that I was when he was a few weeks old and refusing to sleep anywhere but in my arms.

elk4baby Thu 06-Aug-09 12:16:34

We're really happy with ours. DS sleeps in it during the day and seems to enjoy it, looks really comfy. (Though never sleeps for long periods during the day - not even in the sling, his cot or the car seat) They can be pricey, but we got a good deal on an unused one off eBay, and there's usually a few listed.

porcupine11 Thu 06-Aug-09 12:19:30

We found it superb - we couldn't put our baby down awake as he'd scream when he was laid flat. In the Amby they are slightly curled, and he loved it. I've posted before about how we weaned him on to a cot (at 8 months he was getting annoyed at not being able to roll over in the Amby). I'll try and find the link.

porcupine11 Thu 06-Aug-09 12:20:54

here

timmette Thu 06-Aug-09 15:16:05

Wow thanks for all the responses I guess it's a popular product. And thanks for the link to the other thread. It's stilll a favourite for me but I can imagine some of the looks I will get with a baby sleeping in a hammock - lol.

What do they sleep in, in the hammock a sleeping bag or is it a case of blankets?

Monkeyandbooba Thu 06-Aug-09 15:22:51

We had one for DS (nightmare sleeper!), he loved it and was in it until about 8.5mths (grew too big - on 99th centile). Transferred him into a cot easily by putting him down in it during the day for naps for 2 weeks then at night after then , no problems with transition at all.

Lucky13 Thu 06-Aug-09 18:39:57

Our DD loved hers and was a fab sleeper in it. She used blankets for a few weeks then sleeping bags when she was big enough.

We did have a few comments - but we also had a great night's sleep! grin

lynniep Thu 06-Aug-09 18:44:44

DS had one and whilst it didnt solve his sleep issues (sleep through - whats that?!!), it was certainly better than the moses basket. I definately think the gentle bouncing helped.

Transition to cotbed wasnt an issue (9 months and was too big for hammock)

Also used it as travel cot so didnt need a separate one whilst he was younger.

DS2 will go straight in it when he's born.

GentleOtter Thu 06-Aug-09 18:46:05

I wish they did big versions. We found the Amby an absolute gem and our ds slept very well from the day it arrived. I would highly recommend one.

lisad123 Thu 06-Aug-09 18:47:32

loved ours, and used it till she moved into a cot at 10months. Very great to prop up a little more when she has a cough, or a little sicky. Def worth weight in gold

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now