Talk

Advanced search

Which train set for a 2 year old?

(17 Posts)
HensMum Wed 05-Aug-09 16:54:53

I'm really bored at work so have been thinking of what to get DS for his 2nd birthday in a couple of months...

He's really into trains and I quite like the idea of getting him a train set (partly because I always wanted one grin)

I was thinking that DP and I could get a basic set, then relatives could add smaller bits if it proved a hit.

So, what's good? I'd prefer a wooden one, but not too pricey.

muddleduck Wed 05-Aug-09 16:57:45

most of the small wooden ones are interchangeable so I'd advise you buy him a big set with lots of wooden track from one of the supermarkets and then get the relatives to top it up with the ridiculously overpriced trains from ELC/Brio.

morocco Wed 05-Aug-09 16:58:32

muddleduck is right grin

Sam100 Wed 05-Aug-09 16:59:10

Lots of the wooden sets are compatible - you can use Brio trains on the tesco wooden set for example. I think the ELC ones are compatible with both too. We have tesco track, ELC trains and some extra bits (bridges etc) from Bigjigs who sell on amazon.

TheApprentice Wed 05-Aug-09 16:59:57

Or you could do it the other way round, as we have, which is to buy the starter set from Brio (from 18 months) - v basic, and then top it up with the supermarket/ikea stuff.

TabithaTwitchet Wed 05-Aug-09 17:16:24

I got DD an ELC wooden one, but I am kicking myself for not getting the John Lewis one - I think for £25 it is great value (in fact might get it for her for Christmas)

HensMum Wed 05-Aug-09 18:20:21

I didn't realise they were all interchangeable, that's really good.

That John Lewis set is lovely Tabita, thank you! Might get that from DP and me and ask relatives to top up with Tesco/Brio depending on how flush they feel...

bebesequin Wed 05-Aug-09 20:29:44

Yep agree tesco.ELC Brio all interchangeable we used to get the -friends and family to buy the engines and specific Thomas bits from ELC and we just added the tracks which I think cost as little as £2for a bigpack from tesco-

happywomble Thu 06-Aug-09 07:00:18

We purchased a £20 wooden set from Asda and have bought loads more stuff from ELC, and GLTC and also a few second hand trains from Ebay. DS is still playing with it all age 7 so it has been a very good investment. The only problem is storing it as we now have so much track etc.

feedthegoat Thu 06-Aug-09 07:33:50

We've got the Tesco one too, including some of the add ons they sell themselves. It's really good value compared to some of the others.

ben5 Thu 06-Aug-09 07:39:02

we got the 'thomas the tank' blue plastic set thing. you can buy loads of extra stuff for it. it's srong and we started collecting when ds1 was 2. we still play with it and now hes nearly 6. he has a younger brother so hopefully it'll get alot of use.

NormaSknockers Thu 06-Aug-09 08:14:01

Any of the wooden ones are fab! Brio is obviously the brand name but can be very expensive, Toys R Us usually have briliiant offers on Brio sets. The Tesco ones are fab too as they fit the Brio as does the ELC range & most of the Thomas ones so any of those can be added together.

DS has this one as well as a Brio & Thomas set & they all fit together

snickersnack Thu 06-Aug-09 08:14:56

The John Lewis kit is terrific. Really good value and beautifully made.

failedflowers Thu 06-Aug-09 08:55:53

Does the John lewis set interlink with brio/elc etc?

scattykatty Thu 06-Aug-09 09:03:08

DS has 'Plan Toys' one, about £100 for a huge starter kit and then we got him the airport, station and parking garge to go with it for his 1st Xmas. It's wonderful, you can add loades like the fire station, rescue centre and even a pirate ship blush

Plan City

snickersnack Thu 06-Aug-09 23:09:34

John Lewis fits perfectly with Brio - can't tell which is which. I think the Ikea one is a bit less reliable...not sure about elc.

teamcullen Thu 06-Aug-09 23:37:03

Have you got a TK Maxx by you. They often have BRIO trainsets with 50-70% off RRP. My little boy loved his. He ended up with about 3 sets which he would put together to make his own designs as he got older.

He has grown out of it now but I wont get rid of it, its a classic and I know I'll still be pulling it out for visitors kids for years to come.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now