Talk

Advanced search

Now come and share your worst ever child related buys....

(29 Posts)
margobambino Wed 05-Aug-09 13:49:29

After the opposite thread I had an urge to start this one
Mine were:
Polycarbonate baby bottles.
Mamas and Papas Primio Viaggio Car seat.
Doidy cups (some people loves them but i think it's a horrific design).
Baby Bjorn baby carrier.

SecretSlattern Wed 05-Aug-09 13:56:12

Anything designed by Leapfrog. Bought DD a play table for her first birthday. It lasted 2 weeks and LF refused to do anything about it when we contacted them. Also one of those LF console things. Again, lasted about a month and then went wrong.

margobambino Wed 05-Aug-09 20:59:50

I do understand that SecretSlattern. I feel the same towards Mamas and Papas. Whatever designed by them just don't suit us.

annas1 Wed 05-Aug-09 21:12:13

Totally agree on the Mamas and Papas car seat- when my DS was a newborn he always looked so uncomfortable and his head kept flopping forward because it was so upright. I would be driving along with a screeching baby and have to stop to lift his head up from where it was slumped forward- about every 10mins.

I noticed that most other babies were more reclined and comfortable looking in their non M&P car seat. Contacted the shop I got it from and they said it was due to the 'ultra' safe design- hmmm maybe good in a crash test but surely it wasn't good to have his head slumped forward.

Contacted M&P....no reply....

Friends and family thought I was nuts and extravagant but I bought a Maxi Cosi- loved it loved it loved it!!!

Sorry for the rant but got all excited to see someone else who didn't like the M&P first stage car seat!!!

margobambino Wed 05-Aug-09 22:52:36

Hi annas1,
Yes I had exactly the same experience with that horrible car seat. At the end I had to buy another one too, bebe confort.
It is funny that they said it was due to ultra safe design because it is not very good in WHICH tests.

notsoteenagemum Wed 05-Aug-09 23:07:03

Baby monitor 1, cheapo thing picked up other babies so I was forever up and downstairs for no reason.
Baby monitor 2, expensive, borrowed sensor thing, made me paranoid everytime DD twitched a toe.
Realised my house was so small I could hear her snoring anyway.
Really expensive funky designer type bottles bought from Harrods. I breast fed and when DD did eventually have expressed milk she hated the teat. I still have two of them gathering dust.

fruitstick Wed 05-Aug-09 23:11:04

Bumbo. In theory they should be fabulous but both my DS only ever wanted to arch their way out of them.

Meglet Wed 05-Aug-09 23:17:04

Wind up mobile. Had to try and soothe ds with one hand while re-winding the damn thing every 30 seconds. Gave up and got a battery operated one with ceiling projecter which went for 10 mins, in which time I could have a shower and ds would have settled down.

fruitshootsandheaves Wed 05-Aug-09 23:24:25

One of those double loo seats with a smaller inner seat for toddlers. They never used the smaller one.

pinkington Wed 05-Aug-09 23:31:48

Quinny Zapp - wanted it for ages but absolutely hated the stupid thing

margobambino Wed 05-Aug-09 23:41:22

fruitstick, thanks for reminding me bumbo. My DS hated it and never sat on it. Fortunately I was able to return it

earplugs Wed 05-Aug-09 23:51:01

Another one for the Primo Viaggio car seat horrors! Had no idea how bad it was until our ante group photo where we put all our new arrivals in their seats in row. All the others were practically laying down apart from DS who was sat bolt upright! Great for photo, not for a car seat.
After a few weeks of head falling foward troubles also stuck it in shed and bought a maxi cosi!

Also spent a fortune on a baby swing with flashing lights & music etc. DS screamed everytime I put him anywhere near the thing!

Mumcentreplus Wed 05-Aug-09 23:54:24

Door Bouncer..used a couple of times max...baby bath seat thingie used couple of times..2 wooden bed guards un-opened (note to self...must put on ebay)..sure there's more...

StrikeUpTheBand Wed 05-Aug-09 23:57:16

I also returned the Bumbo grin. DS seemed to love it every time we tried it in the shops (for weeks) so I eventually bought him one from Argos and lugged it home (on foot!). He stayed looking happy in it for precisely long enough to take a couple of photos of 'DS in his new Bumbo'. As soon as I put the camera down the expression on his face changed and he started crying and trying to get out of it. I was back at Argos the next day for a refund.

I also bought a bath support while I was pregnant, which didn't fit in his baby bath so I didn't use it. Our big bath is huge and has steps so totally unsuitable for bathing a newborn (takes ages to fill as well), so by the time he started going in the big bath he was 13 months and totally capable of sitting up unaided. Ho hum.

But the award for least useful item was the towelling fitted cover made to fit a large plastic changing mat. It cost me about £7.99 and yet every time it came through the wash, I would put it on and immediately ds would soil it with some bodily fluid or other. It was like he knew hmm. Anyway, in the end I gave up and just used one of the stack of extra large muslins - which could just be thrown in the wash and replaced very easily!

TheWolf Wed 05-Aug-09 23:58:38

Grobag Egg Thermometer
Nappy Bin (the one that comes with the daft refills)
Moses Basket
Baby Swing
A number of manual breastpumps
Parasols for pushchairs
Three wheeled pushchair

I'm sure there's more...

StrikeUpTheBand Thu 06-Aug-09 00:03:38

PS. Someone who didn't think the Bumbo was a waste of money, obviously...

The next 2 episodes are very funny too grin - or is it just me?!

StrikeUpTheBand Thu 06-Aug-09 00:05:00

The Grobag egg thermometer is something I'd also agree with. Should have checked because most baby monitors nowadays have a thermometer on them.

mumofdjandbabies Thu 06-Aug-09 00:17:50

mumcentreplus, I am after 2 wooden bedguards if theyre cheap wink, couldnt believe it when you mentioned them there! grin

Mumcentreplus Thu 06-Aug-09 15:33:50

Really mum? they are brand new still boxed from Mothercare..£24.99 new..so how does this work? grin

mumofdjandbabies Thu 06-Aug-09 19:15:02

cat me if you get a min grinor

krissyandchris @ tiscali.co.uk (no spaces)

Loopymumsy Thu 06-Aug-09 21:57:48

Message withdrawn

margobambino Thu 06-Aug-09 22:39:13

two more:
stay put cutlery and bowl
baby bjorn plate and sppon
DS enjoyed them as a toy.

JemL Fri 07-Aug-09 13:26:18

Another vote for the Bumbo (although a friend borrowed it before I sold it on ebay, and loved it) - DS got out of it within minutes.

The cutlery with suckers

Doidy cups

A parasol

mumofdjandbabies Fri 07-Aug-09 13:30:03

<whispers> did you email mumcentral, maybe I missed it?

I also think the bumbo was dangegrous!!! my 9 week old arched out of it shock

frimblypoo Fri 07-Aug-09 13:32:48

Quinny Zapp - so unstable it was dangerous

Tommy tippee nappy bin - I thought those things were supposed to actually seal the nappies, it doesn't. And it broke on week two.

Breathing/movement monitor for special care baby. Just made me more paranoid.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now