Talk

Advanced search

Plastic or wooden toy kitchen?

(9 Posts)
dairymoo Wed 05-Aug-09 13:39:01

I would like to buy my soon to be 2yo DTs a play kitchen for their birthday. If it was for me grin I would really like this wooden one as it looks well made and I prefer more traditional toys. However, it isn't for me sad, and I am wondering whether my LOs would rather something like this, which is also considerably cheaper...

What do you think? Do your DCs actually prefer plastic junk?!

SpankyCnut Wed 05-Aug-09 13:43:28

The wooden kitchen at our toddler group is never, ever without a swarm of children all over it.

I bought this one on the weekend but am yet to put it together.

I think clicky knobs and opening cupboards are key.

SpankyCnut Wed 05-Aug-09 13:46:25

trying again but the link doesn't seem to want to work. It's the My Pretty Kitchen. The colours are not what I would have chosen, but it was the only one I could find.

charlietheangel Wed 05-Aug-09 13:46:37

The ELC wooden one might be a good compromise between the two. We have the ELC plastic one which both my little ones absolutely love - I went for the cheaper one unsure of how much it would get played with....it's been used every day for the last 9 months so I'm now wishing I'd gone for the slightly better looking one! Nasty red and blue plastic wasn't always a look i was going for in my home!

MrsBadger Wed 05-Aug-09 13:51:57

ime if you ask them, or proffer the Argos catalogue, they think they want bells and whisltes and ringing phones and realistic cooking noises

but the really basic wooden ones thus or similar that all nurseries/playgroups have are loved just as much

or if you can only afford a plastic one hey will love that too

if the plastic offends your aesthetic sensibilites (like it does mine wink) how about this?

mooki Wed 05-Aug-09 13:57:49

I've just got this one for my DD's 2nd birthday (haven't built it yet.)

dairymoo Wed 05-Aug-09 14:13:24

Ooh - MrsBadger I do like that one on ebay, as the plastic ones do tend to offend, don't they? wink And it has all the necessary appliances so I my DCs should be able to do all my cooking/washing with it. grin

dairymoo Wed 05-Aug-09 14:16:34

And yes, the My Pretty Kitchen and ELC wooden one are lovely too....although not too sure about the all the pink on the My Pretty one!

So much choice but glad to hear you say that wooden is loved as much as plastic.

I have been looking forward to this purchase since they were born. [mummy needs to get a life emoticon]

AmazingBouncingFerret Wed 05-Aug-09 14:21:08

The ELC retro kitchen is nice, the plastic one is far to expensive at ELC now its gone upto £70 (!) plus you dont get the free accessories anymore.
Im not sure about any other retailers.
wooden is probably the way to go.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now