Talk

Advanced search

Panasonic SD255 Breadmaker questions

(16 Posts)
MrsPuddleduck Wed 05-Aug-09 11:04:28

I am thinking of getting a breadmaker and this make seems to be the best on the market at the moment. Just to make sure I don't spend £80 on something I will never use...

Can anyone tell me how large it is

Also, I am having my third baby in October so will have my hands full and need to know that it is going to be really easy to use (eg bung in ingredients and leave)

Plus, does it work out cheaper per loaf than eg Hovis from the supermarket?

Thanks!

MrsFrin Wed 05-Aug-09 11:11:55

This is the one I've got, not at home so can't measure it but it sits on the worksurface and fits under the wall cupboards if that makes sense (I just pull it forwards to put the ingredients in and it hides in the corner the rest of the time.) I find it very easy to use, mostly use the rapid bake mode which makes very nice bread in 1h 55 for white and I think 3 for brown (but you can't use the timer with this) Did try to use the timer to make bread overnight but it woke me up when mixing. All you do is shove in dry ingredients, then butter and water and switch it on and walk off. And the smell of bread convinces people you are a domestic goddess when all you've done is weighed some stuff. Cost wise, think it would be cheaper than 'nice' batch baked bread which is what it compares tobut maybe not supermarket basic, I get 3 loaves from a 1.5kg bag of Hovis flour which I think is about £1.20 and the cost of the rest of the ingredients is minimal. I don't buy supermarket bread any more, just use this. Hope that helps!

MrsPuddleduck Wed 05-Aug-09 11:25:28

Thanks MrsFrin - I was wondering about the noise as DS2's bedroom is directly above the kitchen and the last thing I want is him being woken up at 6am by a breakmaker. Having said that sandwich making is one of DH's jobs in this house and he does it after tea so it probably wouldn't be a big issue! If I can fit it under the kitchen cupboards that shouldn't be too bad.

AnxiousAnne Wed 05-Aug-09 11:31:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

EyeballsintheSky Wed 05-Aug-09 11:33:35

Same as Mrs Frin, I pull it forward when it's in use and then shove it against the wall when not. It couldn't be easier to use, just shove the ingredients in and press start. I know it's a cliche but it really is lovely to wake up to the smell of freshly baked bread. Haven't tried the quick bake yet but intend to tonight.

I don't find it noisy at all. There is a very short period where it is mixing but otherwise it's completely silent and 9 times out of 10 I use it overnight. You can always set it in the morning to cook while you are out if noise really is an issue but it never has been for us.

Cost wise it depends what your bread preferences are. I always bought bakery loaves, granary and tiger bread so I was spending a lot of money on it as we are big bread eaters. So it definitely works out cheaper than than. I wasn't sure if I would use mine but I absolutely love it and use it all the time. Oh and you have to make the fruit bread, which is like a big hot cross bun and gorgeous straight out of the tin

AnxiousAnne Wed 05-Aug-09 11:33:47

CarmelitaMiggs Wed 05-Aug-09 11:35:20

DD's room is above the kitchen and yes the machine is noisy but it doesn't seem to wake her up. Mind you like AA I tend to set the timer so it's ready last thing at night -- it's hard to slice when it's superfresh.

The only bad thing about having a breadmaker is having to put up with shop bread when you go away on holiday smile

EyeballsintheSky Wed 05-Aug-09 11:40:52

I use an electric knife so can cut it when it's still warm and it is heavenly...

MrsPuddleduck Wed 05-Aug-09 12:01:06

So how do you store it? Just in an airtight container or in a bag? And how long does it keep?

EyeballsintheSky Wed 05-Aug-09 12:36:42

I have a bread bag that I got from Lakeland but tbh I more often use a large plastic sandwich bag. It keeps really nicely for 2-3 days but we rarely have one around that long. I have found that it does go mouldy a lot quicker than shop bought because there are no preservatives in it. But, you can make different size loaves so if you don't get through that much bread just make the smaller loaf.

AnxiousAnne Wed 05-Aug-09 12:47:48

EyeballsintheSky Wed 05-Aug-09 12:58:32

It actually went mouldy in the bread bin and even more so in the special bread bag, hence the plastic bags which it has been fine in so, who knows <<dimwitted shrug of shoulders!>>. Like I say, it's never around that long anyway

EyeballsintheSky Wed 05-Aug-09 13:00:18

I'm thinking of branching out into naan particularly and cakes as well. How do they come out? What puts me off the cakes is that I was hoping you could just bung ingredients in a la bread and it beeps when it's cooked, but if you have to mix and line with paper then I might as well use a cake tin.

MrsPuddleduck Wed 05-Aug-09 16:55:58

Thanks for all your replies - I am now convinced!

AnxiousAnne Wed 05-Aug-09 17:31:48

EyeballsintheSky Thu 06-Aug-09 09:19:04

Just wanted to add, I tried the quick bake white loaf last night and we've just had it for breakfast. It's really nice, nicer than the 'normal' white bread, not quite as dense. DD and I have polished off over half a loaf between us blush. I l didn't think it would be as good so haven't used it in those 'bugger, we have no bread' emergencies but will use it all the time now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now