Talk

Advanced search

What to look for/consider when buying an iron?

(9 Posts)
BertieBotts Tue 04-Aug-09 18:55:13

I am an iron novice, but the time has come to buy my own grin

I quite like ironing and I think I would prefer a steam iron but the other features, what is worth paying for?

Would like to keep a fairly low budget but not buy the cheapest thing if it's going to last 5 minutes.

Doodle2u Tue 04-Aug-09 19:02:25

Steam irons changed my life!

I LOATHE ironing with a passion but we bought a Tefal iron with the big water tank and in comparison to normal irons, it's a dream!

Doodle2u Tue 04-Aug-09 19:03:56

here

BertieBotts Tue 04-Aug-09 19:10:41

Looks nice Quite expensive though (And I have to LOL at that site's idea of a sale!)

Slubberdegullion Tue 04-Aug-09 19:23:40

An automatic cut off feature is quite important to me as I'm a bit flakey (understatement).

OurLadyOfPerpetualSupper Tue 04-Aug-09 19:29:16

I'd always go for the steam generator now. Mine's quite heavy but is amazingly fast at getting creases out.

BertieBotts Tue 04-Aug-09 19:29:51

Good point Slubber. I have a 10 month old DS as well so would be useful in case he suddenly distracts me from ironing.

sazm Tue 04-Aug-09 20:02:50

i bought a tefal ultra glide iron,its got great steam,a big water tank,and a ceramic plate so it glides easier,
argos have it on offer atm too,

blithedance Tue 04-Aug-09 20:06:19

My iron (Tefal) has a big hole to fill up the water tank quickly, rather than dribbling down a tiny channel on the top. That's useful, because it can get through a refill of water in 15 minutes!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now